MEQUON, Wis. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Softball team wanted to put on an impressive showing on Senior and Parents Day at the CUW Softball Field. The Falcons did just that, scoring 23 runs over two games for a doubleheader sweep over Rockford University. CUW won the opener 12-1 and took game two 11-0, while also honoring senior Melissa Perkins between the victories.
- Final Scores: Concordia Wisconsin 12, Rockford 1 (F/5 - Game 1); Concordia Wisconsin 11, Rockford 0 (F/5 – Game 2)
- Location: CUW Softball Field – Mequon, Wis.
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 21-13, 11-5 NACC; Rockford 2-32, 0-18 NACC
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The lone senior on the Falcons, picked up her career-leading 55th win with five strong innings in the opener. Perkins scattered five hits, while striking out three and again not issuing a walk, something that has been the norm in her impressive career. She now has 13 wins this season.
- The Falcons offense scored five times in the first and seven in the fourth for the 12 runs. CUW collected 13 hits, including home runs by freshmen Maddie Zazas (Mundelein, Ill.), Sara Rosenow (Kimberly, Wis.) and junior Carly Sobrilsky (Brookfield, Wis.).
- Sobrilsky put the Falcons on the board with a two-run blast in the first, while sophomore Jamie Reiser (Ingleside, Ill.) added an RBI double, making the score 3-0. Junior Lexi Holsten (Oshkosh, Wis.) drove in Reiser and Rosenow brought in Holsten with an RBI double for the Falcons. Rosenow finished the game with a career-best five driven in.
- The seven-run fourth was highlighted by a grand slam off the bat of Rosenow. Zazas started off the frame with a solo home run, while Holsten and sophomore Christine Sharon (Cornell, Mich.) also drove in runs. Sharon added a triple in the win for the Falcons.
- Reiser collected three hits to pace the CUW attack, while freshman Delaney O'Keefe (Muskego, Wis.), Sharon, Holsten and Rosenow all tallied a pair of hits.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Sophomore Emily Brekke (Waterford, Wis.) tossed a complete game shutout, striking out three and allowing three hits in her seventh win of the season. The Falcons used five-run second and fourth innings for the win, while Sobrilsky paced the offense with five RBI.
- Sobrilsky ended the game a double shy of the cycle, going 3-for-3 with a two-run home run in the fourth, a two-run triple in the second and an RBI single in the first.
- The Falcons got two more RBI from Rosenow in the second game, while sophomore Deidra Weinberger (Mayville, Wis.) was 1-for-2 with two RBI and three runs scored. Zazas scored twice in the 11-0 win.
- The Falcons will visit MSOE for a NACC doubleheader Tuesday, one of three conference twinbills for CUW next week. First pitch at MSOE is set for 3 p.m.