CLERMONT, Fla. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Softball team exploded for 27 runs over two games Tuesday, winning games against North Park and Ripon. The Falcons opened the day with a 14-0 thrashing of North Park before downing Ripon by a 13-7 score. CUW is now 5-3 on its Florida trip, which will conclude Thursday morning.
- Final Scores: Concordia Wisconsin 14, North Park 0; CUW 13, Ripon 7
- Location: Clermont, Fla.
- Records: CUW 6-6; North Park 2-4; Ripon 0-6
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the opener against the Vikings, CUW scored 10 times in the bottom of the fourth inning, extending a 4-0 lead to 14-0. CUW finished the game with 11 hits, two each coming from freshman Sara Rosenow (Kimberly, Wis.), junior Carly Sobrilsky (Brookfield, Wis.) and sophomore Deidra Weinberger (Mayville, Wis.).
- Rosenow drove in three runs for the Falcons and both of her hits were doubles in the 14-run win. Freshman Maddie Zazas (Mundelein, Ill.) added a triple and scored twice from the leadoff position. Zazas, freshman Delaney O'Keefe (Muskego, Wis.), Rosenow, sophomore Andrea Thiry (Green Bay, Wis.) and Weinberger all scored twice in the win.
- Senior Melissa Perkins (Park Forest, Ill.) tossed a complete game to pick up her third win of the season. She allowed just one hit for the Falcons and struck out three batters in her second shutout of the Florida trip.
- Against Ripon, the Falcons had to rally past the Red Hawks thanks to four runs each in the fourth and fifth, and three more runs in the seventh. Ripon built a 6-1 lead after two against CUW.
- Zazas and sophomore Christine Sharon (Cornell, Mich.) each tallied three hits against Ripon, with Zazas being one of three Falcons to double in the game. O'Keefe also had a strong game, scoring three times from the No. 2 spot in the lineup, while Rosenow and Weinberger once again scored twice.
- In the four-run fourth and fifth innings for the Falcons, a two-RBI double helped highlight each frame. It was Rosenow who delivered the two-RBI hit in the fourth inning, while freshman Becky Bonnin (Kenosha, Wis.) drove in a pair with a double in the fifth.
- Perkins came on in relief for CUW to earn her second win of the day. She allowed one run in 5.2 innings, while scattering four hits. The two wins move her record to 4-2 on the season.
- The Falcons are off Wednesday before returning to the diamond for two games Thursday, which will conclude the Florida trip. CUW will battle Anderson (Ind.) at 9 am (EST) before closing the trip against Endicott at 11 am. The Endicott game will feature live stats via the Endicott Sports Information Department.