MARQUETTE, Mich. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Softball team was on the wrong end of a pair of one-run games Sunday morning at the Finlandia Dome Tournament. The Falcons opened the day by falling 6-5 against Simpson, before dropping a 4-3 extra-inning affair against UW-Superior. CUW finished the Dome Tournament with a 1-3 record, defeating Division II Lake Superior St. yesterday.
- Final Score: Simpson 6, Concordia Wisconsin 5; UW-Superior 4, Concordia Wisconsin 3 (F/8)
- Location: Superior Dome – Marquette, Mich.
- Records: CUW 1-3; Simpson 4-2; UW-Superior 1-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons led in each game, including building a 3-1 lead after two innings against Simpson. Junior Lexi Holsten (Oshkosh, Wis.) had a two-RBI single in a three-run third against the Storm, giving the Falcons a 3-1 advantage after two complete.
- Simpson scored two times in the top of the fourth to tie the game and added two more runs in the fifth, building a 5-3 lead. Brianna Chaplin of the Storm belted a two-run home run in the fifth.
- Simpson would extend its lead to 6-3 in the top of the sixth, but the Falcons posted two in the bottom of the frame to cut their deficit to one. Freshman Maddie Zazas (Mundelein, Ill.) doubled in freshman Sara Rosenow (Kimberly, Wis.), while freshman Delaney O'Keefe (Muskego, Wis.) drove in Zazas with an RBI single.
- CUW got the tying run on second in the bottom of the seventh as Rosenow singled and stole second, but the Falcons could not get her across, ending with a one-run setback. Zazas had a double for the Falcons, while junior Carly Sobrilsky (Brookfield, Wis.) finished with two hits to pace the offense against Simpson.
- Sophomore Emily Brekee (Waterford, Wis.) took the loss in game one, pitching 5.1 innings. Senior Melissa Perkins (Park Forest, Ill.) came on in relief, not allowing a run over the final 1.2 innings.
- In game two, CUW saw UW-Superior score once each in the fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth innings for a 4-3 win. The Falcons led 2-0 heading into the fifth, and 3-2 going into the top of the seventh but were unable to hold off the Yellowjackets.
- Freshman Kendra Little (Hudson, Wis.) had a monster game, going 3-for-4 with her first two collegiate home runs. Little drove in all three CUW runs, belting a two-run shot in the first and a solo home run in the sixth. Sophomore Andrea Thiry (Green Bay, Wis.) added two hits against UW-Superior, while Zazas added another double.
- In the Dome Tournament, extra innings start with a runner on second base. UW-Superior was able to take advantage, plating one in the top of the eighth on an RBI single by Shelly Misco.
- Brekke pitched the final two innings in relief of Perkins, who went six strong for the Falcons. Perkins surrendered two hits, while striking out four. Brekke was the tough luck pitcher of record as she gave up two runs, both unearned. The Falcons defense committed five errors in the second game.
- The Falcons will be off until March 12 when they begin a 10-game Florida Spring Break trip. CUW will start the trip with games against Plattsburgh State and Emerson on the 12th.