MEQUON, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin completed a busy weekend on Saturday with a pair of non-conference matches, falling in three sets to Greenville (25-18, 25-15, 25-15) and Illinois Institute of Technology (25-14, 25-13, 25-17) inside the R. John Buuck Field House.
Final Score: Greenville 3, Concordia Wisconsin 0 (25-18, 25-15, 25-15); Illinois Tech 3, Concordia Wisconsin 0 (25-14, 25-13, 25-17)
Location: R. John Buuck Field House (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 0-6, Greenville 2-0, IIT 1-4
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Concordia Wisconsin began its day against Greenville and was within four points, 21-17, in the opening set before the Panthers went on a 4-1 scoring run to take a set lead in the match. The visitors then controlled the second frame by scores of 25-15 and 25-15.
- Freshman Zach Smith (Massillon, Ohio) and freshman Isaac Glynn (Byron, Minn.) each had a team-high seven kills, while Glynn dished out eight assists. Freshman Matthew Korman (Roscoe, Ill.) added six digs.
- The Falcons couldn't keep up with future NACC foe in IIT, who had double-figure leads in the opening two sets. There were seven scoring ties and four lead changes in the contest.
- Freshman Will Driver (Mokena, Ill.) and Glynn had five kills apiece; while Glynn recorded 10 assists, four digs and three block assists. Korman also had eight assists, while freshman Blake Schwandt (Kenosha, Wis.) tallied four block assists.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- During the weekend, the Falcons recorded double-digit block assists in two of its four matches.
- Marc Gonzalez smashed a match-best 11 kills for Greenville and Tanner Smith accumulated 35 assists and three service aces.
- Cinjun Coe paced all IIT players with 12 kills and Daniel Throop assisted on 18 kills. Ben Peschl tallied 12 assists and Derek Bostick had 11 digs.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels to Kenosha, Wis., next Saturday, January 27 for a pair of non-conference matches against nationally ranked opponents in UC-Santa Cruz and Carthage.