NEW BERLIN, Wis. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Tennis team began its day by winning a nail biter against Carroll University, 5-4, but then fell 7-2 against Carthage, resulting in a split of a pair of non-conference matches Saturday.
- Final Scores: Concordia Wisconsin 5, Carroll 4; Carthage 7, Concordia Wisconsin 2
- Location: Moorland Park Tennis Center – New Berlin, Wisconsin (Host: Carroll)
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 2-1; Carroll 0-1; Carthage 1-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons began the day at 8 a.m. with doubles play against Carroll and were able to take two of three heading into the singles contests. The No. 3 duo of Trevor Budewitz (Watertown, Wis.) and Gabe Binversie (Plymouth, Wis.) gained an 8-4 win, while the No. 2 duo of Christian Docter (Madison, Wis.) and Ceejay Schaffner (Winona, Minn.) picked up an 8-6 win.
- The Falcons and Pioneers would split singles play, resulting in the 5-4 win for CUW. The three CUW victories came from the No. 4 through 6 singles positions, all three in straight sets.
- Brad Guendel (Greendale, Wis.) led the charge with a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 4 singles, while Binversie followed suit with a 6-3, 6-2 victory in the No. 5 spot. Rounding out the lineup for CUW was Budewitz who posted a 6-4, 6-2 victory.
- In the second match of the day the Falcons suffered their first loss of the season against Carthage. The Falcons dropped two of three in doubles play and five of six in singles matchups.
- Schaffner and Docter were able to gain a thrilling 9-8 (7-4) win at the No. 2 doubles position against Carthage. The other CUW victory was at No. 5 singles where Binversie posted a 6-1, 6-4 victory.
- The Falcons will be back in two weeks when they take on Lawrence on Friday, February 17. Action is set to start at 6 p.m. in Appleton.