JACKSON, Wis. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Tennis team is coming off a 2016 season in which they set the program record for most wins. The Falcons are looking to follow that with an even bigger 2017 and got off to a fast start Friday with a 9-0 win over Ripon.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 9, Ripon 0
- Location: Pleasant Valley Tennis Center – Jackson, Wisconsin
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 1-0; Ripon 0-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons began the night with a quick sweep in doubles play, dropping just two points in three matches. The No. 1 duo of juniors James Forster (Northbrook, Ill.) and Brad Guendel (Greendale, Wis.) led the way with an 8-0 win, while the No. 2 team of senior Trevor Budewitz (Watertown, Wis.) and freshman Gabe Binversie (Plymouth, Wis.) posted an identical score.
- Singles play was just as smooth for the Falcons with straight-set wins in all six matches. Junior Ceejay Schaffner (Winona, Minn.) led the way with a 6-1, 6-0 victory at No. 1 singles, while sophomore Christian Docter (Madison, Wis.) netted a 6-1, 6-1 win in his No. 2 singles match.
- Binversie and Raskin won by the exact same score as Schaffner in their matches at the No. 3 and 5 singles positions, respectively. Budewitz was also in control in his No. 4 singles matchup, posting a 6-1, 6-1 win.
- Rounding out the lineup for the Falcons in singles play was Knapp, who netted a 6-0, 6-4 victory to complete the 9-0 night.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The marks the third straight season CUW has opened with Ripon on the schedule. The Falcons posted a 9-0 win last year as well and an 8-1 victory in 2015.
- CUW will return to the courts tomorrow with two non-conference matchups. The Falcons will battle Carroll at 8 a.m. before taking on Carthage at noon. Both matches will take place at Moorland Park Tennis Center in New Berlin.