MEQUON, Wis. – Zach Gyuricza celebrated his birthday with two goals in helping lead the Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Soccer team to a NACC-opening 4-0 win over Marian Wednesday. The Falcons scored all four of their goals in the second half, starting off their NACC title defense on a winning note.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 4, Marian 0
- Location: Fitting Field – Mequon, Wisconsin
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 4-3-0, 1-0-0 NACC; Marian 2-3-1, 0-1-0 NACC
ZACH GYURICZA POSTGAME
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Despite a 12-3 edge in shots in the opening half, the Falcons didn't find their groove until the second 45 minutes. Gyuricza (Palatine, Ill.) wasted little time getting the scoring going in the second half as he struck 1:33 after the break for a 1-0 lead.
- The birthday celebration continued for Gyuricza as he scored in the 54th minute for a 2-0 Falcons advantage. Dagoberto Diaz (Woodburn, Ore.) assisted on both of Gyuricza's scores and added a third helper on a Cristian Tyrpak (Hartford, Wis.) goal in the 63rd minute for a 3-0 advantage.
- Tyler Salvador (Lindenhurst, Ill.) put the finishing touches on the Sabres with his second goal of the season in the 76th minute. Brian Tener (Glenview, Ill.) gained an assist on the Salvador score.
- CUW ripped off 19 shots in the second half and finished the match with a decisive 31-6 edge in shots. Starting goalkeeper Nate Yeager (Rio Rancho, N.M.) needed just one save in his 74:33 of play as much of the action was on the Falcons offensive end. Ian Chacon of Marian stopped 11 shots.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- CUW has enjoyed its time at Fitting Field this season, winning all four of its matches at home. The Falcons have outscored opponents 11-1 over those four matches and have scored at least three goals in each of the past three home tilts.
- The two-goal effort was the first for Gyuricza in a Falcons uniform and also marked his first two goals of the season. Last year, his first with the Falcons, he scored four goals in 17 matches.
- The Falcons will visit Benedictine for a NACC match Saturday evening at 7:30 p.m.