MEQUON, Wis. – It was a day for celebration for the Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Soccer team Saturday. Not only did the Falcons celebrate the careers of four outstanding seniors at halftime, they also celebrated goals early and often in a 6-0 win over Concordia Chicago.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 6, Concordia Chicago 0
- Location: Fitting Field – Mequon, Wisconsin
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 12-4-0, 5-4-0 NACC; Concordia Chicago 3-12-0, 1-8-0 NACC
JORDAN MOEHN INTERVIEW
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons scored twice in the first half, those goals coming from junior Colin Dibb and senior Jordan Moehn. Dibb (Hartland, Wis.) got the scoring started with his team-leading ninth goal of the season in the 14th minute. Moehn (Fond du Lac, Wis.) put CUW up 2-0, his goal being assisted by Dibb in the 34th minute.
- CUW dominated possession in the opening half but only led by two thanks to some outstanding play by Cougars goalkeeper, Zachary Adamec. Adamec made seven saves in the first half and continued to play well in the second, finishing with 11 saves. He allowed three goals in 79:51.
- The Falcons went up 3-0 in the 67th minute on a goal from sophomore Iven Hernandez (Antioch, Ill.). Hernandez took a touch from sophomore Dagoberto Diaz (Woodburn, Ore.) and buried the goal, his sixth of the season.
- The final three goals for CUW came in the final 10 minutes of play and were all by players scoring for the first time in 2016. The first was a strike from freshman Patricio Martinez (Scottsdale, Ariz.) off an assist by sophomore Ryan Kreuser (Suamico, Wis.). Martinez got the pass near the top of the box and buried the shot in the top right-hand corner for his first career collegiate goal.
- Martinez would help set up the Falcons next goal, the first of the season for junior Devin Bathke (Chippewa Falls, Wis.). Also assisting on the play was freshman Julian Esparza (Chandler, Ariz.). Kreuser scored the final goal for the Falcons, his score being set up by junior Jose Becerra (Waukegan, Ill.).
- Junior Killian Mielotz (Grafton, Wis.) started for CUW and made one save in the opening half. He was replaced at halftime by freshman Nate Yeager (Rio Rancho, N.M.) as the two once again split time at goalkeeper. Yeager stopped all five shots he faced in the second half.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Moehn was one of four seniors honored at halftime. Joining him in the 2016 Senior Class was Sean Cropper (Green Bay, Wis.), Neil Tandon (Woodbridge, Ontario) and Justin Clayton (Crete, Ill.).
- The win also puts the Falcons in a strong position for a home match in the NACC Tournament, if they can close the regular season with a win Wednesday. CUW has 15 points in NACC play, putting them in fourth in the league standings. The Falcons would clinch at least the No. 4 seed with a win Wednesday against Lakeland.
- The Falcons will close the regular season Wednesday at home against Lakeland. The match is set for a 3 p.m. start at Fitting Field.