FOND DU LAC, Wis. – Head coach Tom Saleska picked up his 300th career victory as the Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Soccer team defeated Marian 3-2 Wednesday night. The Falcons scored twice in the first half and held on for the one-goal NACC road win.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 3, Marian 2
- Location: Smith Field – Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 11-4-0, 4-4-0 NACC; Marian 5-8-1, 3-4-1 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons struck first on an own goal by Marian just 6:06 into play. CUW would extend its first-half lead to 2-0 as junior Luis Loya (Bolingbrook, Ill.) scored his sixth goal of the season in the 20th minute.
- CUW would have to hold on in the second half for its fourth NACC win of the season. Marian twice cut the lead to one, including making the score 3-2 in the 87th minute. The Falcons defense would hold strong, securing the conference road victory.
- After the Sabres scored early in the second half on an Alonso Fragoso goal, the Falcons answered in the 73rd minute to go back up two goals. It was junior Colin Dibb (Hartland, Wis.) who netted his team-leading ninth goal, this one coming off an assist from Loya.
- Marian would score again in the 87th minute on a goal by Muhammed Abshir. After a scramble in front of the goal, Abshir was there to put it in, making the Falcons lead just one.
- CUW held an 18-11 edge in shots, including an 8-3 advantage in the opening half. Junior Killian Mielotz (Grafton, Wis.) played the opening half for the Falcons, while freshman Nate Yeager (Rio Rancho, N.M.) came on for the final 45 minutes and made one save. Ian Chacon stopped six shots for the host Sabres.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Saleska is in his 24th season with the Falcons and has been a consistent winner since taking over in 1993. In all but two seasons, Saleska's teams have won double-digit matches, including a program-best 18 in 1996.
- Saleska has captured seven regular season conference championships leading the Falcons. CUW won Lake Michigan Conference titles in 1996, 1997, 1999, 2002, 2003, and 2004, along with a NACC title last fall.
- The Falcons will host Concordia Chicago on Saturday. It will also be Senior Day for CUW with the match being the second part of a women's/men's doubleheader at Fitting Field. The men's contest is set for a 3:30 p.m. start.