RIVER FOREST, Ill. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Soccer team dropped a NACC road matchup at conference-leading Dominican Saturday. The Falcons scored late to cut the Stars lead to one, but couldn't find the equalizer, falling 2-1.
- Final Score: Dominican 2, Concordia Wisconsin 1
- Location: West Campus Field – River Forest, Illinois
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 10-4-0, 3-4-0 NACC; Dominican 10-2-2, 8-0-0 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Stars went up one in the first half with a strike from Isaac Perez in the 18th minute. His fourth goal of the season was the lone tally in the opening half as the Falcons faced a 1-0 deficit heading into the break.
- Perez set up the Stars second goal, a Zack Vernon score in the 60th minute which put the Falcons in a 2-0 hole.
- CUW would cut the deficit to 2-1 on a score by senior Justin Clayton (Crete, Ill.), his third of the season. Junior Jose Becerra (Waukegan, Ill.) set up Clayton's score on a corner kick and the Falcons senior midfielder was there to find the back of the net.
- The Falcons finished the match with eight shots, compared to 11 for the host Stars. CUW had a 6-4 edge in shots in the second half, including all three of their shots on goal.
- CUW once again split goalkeepers Saturday. Junior Killian Mielotz (Grafton, Wis.) got the start and made two saves, while freshman Nate Yeager (Rio Rancho, N.M.) played the second half. Gabriel Gongora was at goalkeeper for Dominican, finishing the contest with two saves.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- CUW and Dominican have a history of playing close matchups. Eight of the last nine contests have been decided by one goal, with Dominican gaining the upper hand in seven of those. CUW defeated the Stars in overtime in last year's regular season battle.
- The Falcons will look to rebound Wednesday with a NACC contest at Marian. The conference match is set for a 7 p.m. start in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin.