ROCKFORD, Ill. – Despite playing a man down due to a red card late in the first half, the Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Soccer team landed a 2-1 NACC road win at Rockford Wednesday. Luis Loya scored the game-winner in the second half, helping move the Falcons to .500 in league play.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 2, Rockford 1
- Location: Sam Greeley Field – Rockford, Illinois
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 10-3-0, 3-3-0 NACC; Rockford 5-7-2, 1-5-1 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With the score tied 1-1, CUW was issued a red card with just 18 seconds to go in the opening half. The Regents were issued a red card late in the second half, as CUW played a man down for 43-plus minutes in the contest.
- The Falcons were still able to gain the win thanks to Loya's (Bolingbrook, Ill.) fifth goal of the season. He scored from five yards out in the 52nd minute and the Falcons played solid defense from that point on for the one-goal win.
- CUW struck in the first half on a score from sophomore Dagoberto Diaz (Woodburn, Ore.). Sophomore Trevor Nargis (Milwaukee, Wis.) and junior Jake Swihart (Oostburg, Wis.) set Diaz up for his eighth goal of the year. Diaz is now tied for the team lead with Colin Dibb (Hartland, Wis.) for goals scored.
- The Regents tied the match just 3:14 after Diaz scored, an own goal, sent in by the Falcons defense.
- Freshman Nate Yeager (Rio Rancho, N.M.) played the second half for the Falcons and picked up the win with his scoreless 45 minutes of play. He made one save in the half. Junior Killian Mielotz (Grafton, Wis.) started the contest and recorded two saves in the first half.
- The Falcons had a 25-10 advantage in shots on Wednesday, including a 14-4 edge in the first half when they were even-strength for most of it. Rockford received an 11-save performance from goalkeeper Anthony Beck.
- The Falcons will be back in action Saturday when they visit NACC-leading Dominican. The Stars are a perfect 7-0-0 in conference play and the match is scheduled to start at 2:30 p.m., following the women's matchup between Dominican and CUW.