MEQUON, Wis. – MSOE was the only team to defeat the Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Soccer team a season ago in Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference regular season play. The Falcons got revenge from that loss Saturday, scoring three times in the second half in a 4-1 statement win at Fitting Field.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 4, MSOE 1
- Location: Fitting Field – Mequon, Wis.
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 7-1-0, 1-1-0 NACC; MSOE 4-5-0, 1-1-0 NACC
JUSTIN CLAYTON INTERVIEW
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a 1-1 opening half, which saw MSOE tie the match on a penalty kick with 17 seconds remaining before halftime, CUW turned it on with a three-goal outburst for the 4-1 win. Sophomore Dagoberto Diaz scored two in the second half, while junior Colin Dibb add the other score, while assisting on both of Diaz' goals.
- Diaz (Woodburn, Ore.) struck first on a shot from 19 yards out just 9:06 into the second stanza. The Falcons 2-1 lead would hold for about 23 minutes, before Dibb (Hartland, Wis.) made the score 3-1. An MSOE defender kicked the ball back to the Raiders goalkeeper, but Dibb was able to steal it away from the goalie and score for the two-goal advantage.
- Diaz would strike for the second time, his sixth goal of the season, when Dibb played one into the box for his teammate, who was there to make the score 4-1. Dibb and Diaz are now tied for the team lead with six goals.
- The Falcons scored first on Saturday, as CUW received an own goal in the 12th minute. Sophomore Gavin Falotico (Palatine, Ill.) fired a shot which was hit in by a Raiders defender, to make the score 1-0.
- MSOE would tie the match with just 17 seconds remaining in the opening half on a penalty kick by Braden Andryk. The play was rewarded after a foul in the box, one of three yellow cards issued to CUW in the opening half. The Falcons finished the game with four yellow cards, while MSOE was whistled for two.
- Freshman Nate Yeager (Rio Rancho, N.M.) picked up the win after stopping the only shot he saw in the second half. Junior Killian Mielotz (Grafton, Wis.) started the match and made one save for the Falcons.
- CUW finished with a decisive 22-7 edge in shots, including an 11-3 advantage in shots on goal.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The win over MSOE was big, especially after the Falcons dropped their opening NACC match a week ago at Wisconsin Lutheran. Just one week into the conference season, and every team has a league loss except Dominican and Marian.
- Dibb and Diaz are tied for fourth in the NACC with six goals. Andryk's score for MSOE was his tied for league-leading ninth goal of the season.
- Senior Justin Clayton (Crete, Ill.) did a marvelous job tracking Andryk all match. Andryk's only points came on the penalty kick, while Clayton wasn't even in the match at that time. Clayton talks about his role in the interview above.
- The Falcons will make a trip to St. Louis on Tuesday night as they visit Fontbonne for a non-conference matchup. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m.