MILWAUKEE – The 25th-ranked Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Soccer team was upset in its Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference opener Saturday, falling 1-0 at Wisconsin Lutheran College.
- Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 1, Concordia Wisconsin 0
- Location: Warrior Soccer Field – Milwaukee
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 5-1-0, 0-1-0 NACC; Wisconsin Lutheran 4-2-2; 1-0-0 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a scoreless first half, Wisconsin Lutheran struck just 2:35 into the second with a goal from Yussef Sahraoui. His score from 16 yards out, which deflected off a defender, was assisted by Chase Maxwell.
- The Falcons controlled possession throughout, finishing with a 22-11 edge in shots, including an 18-5 advantage in the second half.
- WLC got a strong performance from goalkeeper Erik Lehnen, who made seven stops for the shutout of the Falcons.
- Junior Killian Mielotz (Grafton, Wis.) and freshman Nate Yeager (Rio Rancho, N.M.) again split time at keeper for the Falcons. Mielotz played the first half, his fourth straight contest without allowing a goal, while making one save.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons dropped their second contest in NACC play last season (3-2 at MSOE), so while losing early in conference play is never ideal, CUW knows how to respond and still make a run at the NACC title. The Falcons rallied off eight straight wins in NACC play a season ago to capture the regular season title.
- CUW will take on Elmhurst in a non-conference road match Tuesday. The Falcons and Bluejays are set for a 7 p.m. start.