MEQUON, Wis. – In another thrilling matchup at Fitting Field, the Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Soccer team once again found a way to win in overtime, downing St. Norbert College 3-2 Wednesday. It was Dagoberto Diaz who provided the heroics again, netting a penalty kick score with 3:03 to play in the first overtime.
- Final Score: No. 25 Concordia Wisconsin 3, St. Norbert 2 (F/OT)
- Location: Fitting Field – Mequon, Wis.
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 5-0-0; St. Norbert 3-2-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Junior Luis Loya (Bolingbrook, Ill.) was fouled in the box, setting up Diaz (Woodburn, Ore.) for the penalty kick. The goal was the second of the match for Diaz and his fourth of the season. It was also the third OT goal of the sophomore's career.
- After a scoreless first half, the two teams scored four times in the second 45 minutes of play. St. Norbert took the lead in the 55th minute when Tyler Kassube put in a free kick from 19 yards out. The Falcons answered less than a minute later as Diaz took advantage of a great effort play by senior Jordan Moehn (Fond du Lac, Wis.), tying the match at one.
- Nearly 11 minutes later the Green Knights would go back in front, this time on a cross pass from Jon Gregory, setting up Marco Delbecchi with his first goal of the season.
- The Falcons answered once again as junior Jake Swihart (Oostburg, Wis.) buried a shot from 25 yards. The defender came up on a ball and blasted it past the Green Knights goalie for the third goal of his career.
- Freshman Nate Yeager (Rio Rancho, N.M.) got the win for the Falcons, his fourth straight victory after playing the second half and overtime. Junior Killian Mielotz (Grafton, Wis.) played an outstanding first half, stopping six shots and keeping the score 0-0.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Nearly two years ago, St. Norbert downed CUW in double overtime which was a part of an 0-14-12 record for CUW in overtime. The Falcons have now won six straight overtime matches, Diaz providing the winner in three of those.
- Defenders don't often get a ton of the credit but a deep CUW unit was at it again Wednesday. Gavin Falotico (Palatine, Ill.) and Swihart stood out, among others to help keep the Falcons in the match and ultimately pull out the win.
FALOTICO AND SWIHART INTERVIEW
- The Falcons will visit Wisconsin Lutheran for their NACC opener Saturday afternoon. Action is set to start at 3:30 p.m. in Milwaukee.