LISLE, Ill. – Keegan Van Dusseldorp scored a goal and Alec Brew and the Concordia University Wisconsin defense shut down Benedictine University as the Falcons picked up a 1-0 NACC win Wednesday night. The win pushes the Falcons to 3-1-0 in conference play on the season.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 1, Benedictine 0
- Location: Village of Lisle-Benedictine University Sports Complex – Lisle, Ill.
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 9-2-1, 3-1-0 NACC; Benedictine 5-7-0, 2-2-0 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The lone goal of the evening came from Van Dusseldorp (senior -Burlington, Wis.) in the 29th minute. He took a pass from junior Jordan Moehn (Fond du Lac, Wis.) and converted his eighth goal of the season for the 1-0 advantage.
- Brew (senior – Appleton, Wis.) and the defense took things from there, posting the Falcons fifth and Brew's fourth shutout of the season. He finished with five saves, four of those coming after halftime.
- The defensive group of seniors Bobby Russ (Wauwatosa, Wis.) and Jake Barnes (Fort Atkinson, Wis.), sophomores Jeremy Jenich (Mundelein, Ill.) and Jake Swihart (Oostburg, Wis.) and freshman Gavin Falotico (Palatine, Ill.) can't be overlooked in a shutout, especially in conference play. Of course, the total team deserves credit in any shutout on the pitch.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Van Dusseldorp had gone five matches without a goal before scoring the lone tally Wednesday. The impressive thing about the Falcons this season is they are still able to put wins on the board when the senior striker doesn't score. CUW is 4-1-1 when Van Dusseldorp hasn't scored this season, compared to posting a 0-8-1 mark a season ago.
- Brew now has eight career shutouts, four of those coming this season and four of those coming in 2013. He leads the NACC with a .875 save percentage and also ranks second in the conference with a 0.66 goals against average.
- Previously NACC unbeaten MSOE fell Wednesday night, meaning Dominican is the lone team with a loss in league play. The Stars do have a tie on their conference record, as the NACC appears wide open at this point.
- The Falcons will stay on the road for a Saturday conference match at Edgewood. Action is set to get underway at 11 a.m.