Beloit, Wis. – Spring is in the air and Concordia Wisconsin was firing in goals from all over Strong Stadium on Saturday afternoon. The Falcons came away with a 13-7 victory over Beloit with strong showings in the second and third quarters for their third Midwest Lacrosse Conference victory of the season.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 13, Beloit 7
Location: Strong Stadium (Beloit, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 4-1 (3-0 MLC); Beloit 1-3 (0-1 MLC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons took a 2-1 lead into the first break and then came out a blew open the lead after six second quarter goals. Especially in the early going of the quarter when sophomore Keijo Day (Esko, Minn.) and sophomore Ryan LeFebvre (Chicago, Ill.) scored on man up opportunities. The defensive side of the field also held its ground for CUW, as they only gave up two goals to give Concordia Wisconsin a 8-3 lead heading into the final two quarters.
- The Falcons continued to dominate on the defensive side of the field, as they blanked the Buccaneers in the third quarter while also adding four goals to lengthen the lead to 12-3, in favor of the CUW. Senior Warren Kaminsky (Winnipeg, Manitoba) added two goals of his own in the third quarter to help the offensive attack.
- Beloit did make a comeback attempt in the fourth, as they added four goals with three goals coming from Mark Gannon and one goal coming from Michael Boyland, but the Buccaneers could not dig themselves out of the hole, as CUW put pressure on them all day and took advantage of their opportunities. Concordia Wisconsin went 2-of-3 on man up opportunities and controlled the game with 16-of-22 faceoff wins. The defense turned over Beloit 19 times and held the hosts to 36 shots.
- CUW was led by senior Aidan Connolly (Grayslake, Ill.) and Day, who both netted three goals and tallied one assist. Junior Ben Gramarossa (Smithtown, N.Y.) picked up seven ground balls and LeFebvre, Kaminsky and senior Stephen Gregory (Louisville, Ky.) all scored two goals on the afternoon.
- Concordia Wisconsin will travel for a matchup against Brockport on Wednesday, with the opening faceoff scheduled for 12:00 pm.