LISLE, Ill. – Concordia Wisconsin led 4-0 after the first quarter and extended it to a six-goal advantage midway through the second quarter before going on to win 12-8 at Benedictine on Wednesday night. Warner Marquez had a career-high four goals in the game and a hat trick during the Falcons sizeable early advantage.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 12, Benedictine 8
Location: The Sports Complex (Lisle, Ill.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 3-1, 2-0 MLC; Benedictine 3-3, 3-1 MLC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Junior Warner Marquez (Danville, Calif.) netted a pair of goals to help the Falcons own a 4-0 lead after 15 minutes of action and he added another with nine minutes and 10 seconds to play before halftime for his first career hat trick. By then Concordia Wisconsin owned a 7-1 advantage and would trade goals with Benedictine before netting on three of the last four to walk off the field with a four-goal victory.
- The Falcons were successful on the clear, converting 21-of-25 attempts, which was an important reason for the 12 goals. They also scored a pair of man-up goals, while limiting the Eagles to 1-of-4 on man-up chances.
- Marquez had a career game with four goals, scoring the last of the game with two-plus minutes to play, and prior to the night, he had 12 goals in 32 career games. Senior Stephen Gregory (Louisville, Ky.) had two goals and an assist. Sophomore Keijo Day (Esko, Minn.) and sophomore Donovan Harper (Yorba Linda, Calif.) each scored twice. Senior Warren Kaminsky (Winnipeg, Manitoba) and junior Nathan Oekerman (Beaverton, Ore.) each found the back of the net once.
- Oekerman led the defense with six ground balls and three caused turnovers. Junior Ryan Voskuil (Flower Mound, Texas) had three caused turnovers and four ground balls of his own. Senior Garrett Wohlford (Rochester, Minn.) made 10 saves in goal for a complete game win.
- Thomas Tillet had a hat trick for Benedictine, while Joe Spahn and Anthony Leahy each scored twice. Mateo Salceda won 10 faceoffs and picked up 10 ground balls.
- Concordia Wisconsin improves to 9-1 against Benedictine and hasn't lost in four games in Lisle.
- It was the second game in a row the Falcons had four players score multiple goals.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels to Beloit for an MLC matchup on Saturday at 1 pm.
March 18, 2019 Men's Lacrosse receives votes in USILA Coaches Poll
March 16, 2019 Falcons down Beloit in a road MLC matchup
March 13, 2019 Early lead propels Men’s Lacrosse to MLC victory
March 9, 2019 Falcons come from behind in MLC win
March 1, 2019 Day scores five, Men’s Lacrosse cruises past Dubuque
February 26, 2019 Wohlford named MLC Defensive Player of the Week
February 26, 2019 Men's Lacrosse moves game vs. Dubuque to Friday at 2 pm
February 23, 2019 Falcons fall on the road to begin 2019 season
February 22, 2019 Men’s Lacrosse expecting success during 2019 season
February 13, 2019 Falcon Focus Podcast (February 13, 2019)
February 13, 2019 Men's Lacrosse vs. Olivet canceled
January 28, 2019 Men’s Lacrosse chosen to win title in MLC Preseason Poll
January 28, 2019 Leen named to Ireland Lacrosse roster
September 24, 2018 Men's Lacrosse announces captains for 2019 season