MEQUON, Wis. – After MSOE scored three goals in a row to take a 7-6 lead after 45 minutes of play, Concordia Wisconsin rose to the occasion and played its best lacrosse during the final quarter to earn a come-from-behind 8-7 MLC victory on Saturday at Fitting Field.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 8, MSOE 7
Location: Fitting Field (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 2-1, 1-0 MLC; MSOE 0-3, 0-1 MLC
QUOTING WARREN KAMINSKY
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons had a 5-3 lead at halftime, but the Raiders switched the momentum in their favor and used a 4-1 scoring run to own a one-goal advantage with a quarter to play.
- After some talk by the leaders and coaching staff, Concordia Wisconsin used the final 15 minutes to play to flex its muscle on both ends of the field. They forced four turnovers, won all three faceoffs and scored a pair of crucial goals over a three minute and 33-second span to come from behind and take the league victory.
- Sophomore Ryan LeFebvre (Chicago, Ill.) scored the game-tying goal with 5:33 to play after senior Mario Baregi (Champlin, Minn.) found him to put the scoreboard at 7-7. The game-winning goal wasn't scripted, but it was a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Sophomore Keijo Day (Esko, Minn.) was working on the right side of the goal when an attempted shot was knocked loose and the ball bounced to senior Warren Kaminsky (Winnipeg, Manitoba) in front of the goal at point-blank range. He picked it up and rifled in an underhand shot that went past the goalkeeper with two minutes left in the game.
- Kaminsky, along with LeFebvre, sophomore Donovan Harper (Yorba Linda, Calif.) and senior Stephen Gregory (Louisville, Ky.) all had two goals each for the Falcons. Baregi, Gregory and senior Aidan Connolly (Grayslake, Ill.) all had an assist.
- Junior Nathan Oekerman (Beaverton, Ore.) picked up a game-high-tying five ground balls and caused a pair of turnovers, while junior Ben Gramarossa (Smithtown, N.Y.) had nine faceoff wins and five ground balls. Junior Jordan Alexander (Littleton, Colo.) also caused a pair of turnovers.
- Senior Garrett Wohlford (Rochester, Minn.) ended the victory with 12 saves in a complete game effort.
- Harrison Davies recorded a hat trick and John Wilson scored twice for the Raiders. Jacob Boynewicz and Bennett Harris had five and three caused turnovers, respectively.
- Wohlford has made double-digit saves in six games in a row dating back to last season.
- The Falcons have never lost to the Raiders in 11 meetings and own a 163-38 scoring advantage.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin returns to the road for the first game of five away from Mequon on Wednesday with a 7 pm MLC game at Benedictine.
June 27, 2019 Wohlford named 2018-19 Male Athlete of the Year
June 25, 2019 Wohlford named Male Career Achievement Award winner
June 12, 2019 Men's Lacrosse lands 10 on MLC All-Academic Team
May 23, 2019 Wohlford named All-America Honorable Mention
May 8, 2019 Falcons end season in NCAA Tournament
May 5, 2019 Falcons open NCAA Tournament against Denison
May 4, 2019 MLC TOURNAMENT CHAMPIONS!
May 3, 2019 MLC announces postseason honors
May 1, 2019 Men's Lacrosse defeats MSOE in MLC Tournament
April 27, 2019 MLC regular season CHAMPIONS!
April 24, 2019 Men's Lacrosse wins seventh in a row
April 23, 2019 Gramarossa wins MLC Defensive Player of the Week honors
April 19, 2019 Men's Lacrosse cruises to MLC win
April 17, 2019 Men’s Lacrosse sails past Sabres
April 16, 2019 Falcon Focus Podcast (April 16, 2019)
April 16, 2019 Voskuil earns MLC Defensive Player of the Week honors
April 13, 2019 Eleven players score in lopsided Men's Lacrosse win
April 6, 2019 Men's Lacrosse scores in bunches during MLC victory
March 30, 2019 Falcons cruise to MLC victory
March 22, 2019 Falcons take easy win over Medaille
March 20, 2019 Gregory scores four, Men's Lacrosse falls at Brockport
March 18, 2019 Men's Lacrosse receives votes in USILA Coaches Poll
March 16, 2019 Falcons down Beloit in a road MLC matchup
March 13, 2019 Early lead propels Men’s Lacrosse to MLC victory
March 9, 2019 Falcons come from behind in MLC win
March 1, 2019 Day scores five, Men’s Lacrosse cruises past Dubuque
February 26, 2019 Wohlford named MLC Defensive Player of the Week
February 26, 2019 Men's Lacrosse moves game vs. Dubuque to Friday at 2 pm
February 23, 2019 Falcons fall on the road to begin 2019 season
February 22, 2019 Men’s Lacrosse expecting success during 2019 season
February 13, 2019 Falcon Focus Podcast (February 13, 2019)
February 13, 2019 Men's Lacrosse vs. Olivet canceled
January 28, 2019 Men’s Lacrosse chosen to win title in MLC Preseason Poll
January 28, 2019 Leen named to Ireland Lacrosse roster
September 24, 2018 Men's Lacrosse announces captains for 2019 season