MEQUON, Wis. – Keijo Day tallied a hat trick in the third quarter and ended with five goals on the day to help Concordia Wisconsin cruise past Dubuque for an 11-2 victory on Friday afternoon during the home opener at Fitting Field.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 11, Dubuque 2
Location: Fitting Field (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 1-1, Dubuque 0-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sophomore Keijo Day (Esko, Minn.) scored a goal in the opening quarter to give the Falcons a quick 2-0 lead. He would wait until the third quarter to unleash a flurry of markers, three in a four-minute and 41-second span, to push the hosts' advantage to 8-1. The attacker added his fifth of the day to scoreboard midway through the final quarter.
- Concordia Wisconsin began to separate itself from Dubuque in final minutes before halftime when it scored back-to-back man-up goals, by sophomore Ryan LeFebvre (Chicago, Ill.) and senior Aidan Connolly (Grayslake, Ill.), to own a 5-1 difference at the intermission.
- After Day's explosion in the third, the Falcons recorded three more goals in the last quarter to win easily.
- The Falcons held a 28-19 advantage in ground balls, cleared 15-of-19 attempts and caused 11 turnovers.
- Senior Garrett Wohlford (Rochester, Minn.) made 15 saves in goal to earn the win. Sophomore Alex Loding (Mundelein, Ill.) entered late in the game and made a save of his own.
- Michael Jango and Davis Behrns scored a goal each for Dubuque, while Ryan Nemeth had 12 saves in net.
- Concordia Wisconsin scored was 4-of-6 on man-up chances. They have scored four man-up goals or more just 11 times in program history and last season ranked 35th nationally in man-up offense.
- The Falcons are now 5-0 all-time against the Spartans and have outscored them 82-13 in those matchups.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin begins MLC play on March 9 when it hosts MSOE in a 1 pm contest at Fitting Field.