MEQUON, Wis. – Garrett Wohlford rose to the occasion on Wednesday afternoon, making valuable saves when needed, while Concordia Wisconsin came alive in the third quarter during a 10-7 non-conference victory over North Central.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 10, North Central 7
Location: Fitting Field (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 5-4, North Central 3-6
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The scoreboard read 5-5 following a North Central goal midway through the third quarter and until that point it was an intense back-and-forth game at Fitting Field. Things could have gotten out of control for Concordia Wisconsin if not for the outstanding play of Garrett Wohlford in goal.
- The junior stonewalled the Cardinals on four of their five possessions leading up to the game-tying goal at the 8:08 mark of the third period. What followed was an impressive stretch of play that exhilarated the Falcon faithful, as he made four saves during a minute stretch to shift the momentum completely.
- With energy on their side, Keijo Day found the back of the net twice and Aidan Connolly marked a goal, to go along with a Collin Berman score gave Concordia Wisconsin a quick 4-0 score run that turned blew the game wide open. North Central responded with a pair of goals to make it 9-7, but never really got back into it because of the Falcons defense.
- Wohlford (junior, Rochester, Minn.) ended with 15 saves, including nine in the third quarter, during a winning effort.
- Concordia Wisconsin's defense forced 17 turnovers, of which 11 were caused. Sophomore Ethan Danz (Appleton, Wis.) had a team-high four caused turnovers and seven ground balls, while Wohlford also had six ground balls.
- The faceoff circle was controlled by sophomore Ben Gramarossa (Smithtown, N.Y.) who won 10-of-15 attempts.
- Offensively, Day (freshman, Esko, Minn.) and Connolly (junior, Grayslake, Ill.) each recorded a hat trick. Junior Jack Donnellan (Grayslake, Ill.) assisted on a pair of scores.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The game was filled with penalties, as there were 13 infractions for a combined 12 minutes.
- With six seconds to play in the first quarter, sophomore Warner Marquez (Danville, Calif.) scored just the program's sixth man-down goal.
- Tanner James netted a trio of Cardinal goals, while Tommy Huizinga had two scores. Gavin Foote assisted on two goals.
- Brandon Pearl caused a game-high seven turnovers and Dylan Cost made eight saves in net.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels to Fontbonne for a Saturday 10:30 am MLC contest.