MEQUON, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin's Men's Lacrosse team fell to Elmhurst, 12-9, on a chilly Wednesday afternoon on Fitting Field. The Falcons could not hold off the surging Bluejays in the fourth quarter as they scored six unanswered to pull away.
Final Score: Elmhurst 12, Concordia Wisconsin 9
Location: Fitting Field (Mequon, Wis.)
Records:Elmhurst 2-1, Concordia Wisconsin 1-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In a tight game throughout, Concordia Wisconsin took a three-goal lead with 12:04 left in regulation after junior Jack Donnellan's (Grayslake, Ill.) goal pushed the lead to 9-6 in favor of CUW. That's when the Bluejays turned it on and scored six unanswered goals, aided by two man-up goals and one man-down goal. Elmhurst's scoring span lasted from 8:35 to 5:19 in the final quarter, pushing them past the Falcons and into an 11-9 lead. The opposition added one more goal with 2:11 left to play in the game that pushed the lead to 12-9 in favor of the Bluejays.
- Elmhurst went 2-of-7 in man-up opportunities with their two most important coming in the fourth quarter. The Bluejays went 2-of-2 in the deciding quarter to help push them over the top and snag the victory. The visiting team even chipped in a man-down goal with 6:20 remaining to tie up the game at 9-to-9.
- Donnellan was the main playmaker for the Falcons by firing in four goals, which is a career high for the upperclassmen. Freshman Chris Smith (South Elgin, Ill.) also tailed a goal that marked the first of his career. The Falcons jumped out to a 4-to-0 lead, but couldn't contain the Bluejays attack as they rattled off four straight goals to tie up the game early in the third quarter 4-to-4.
- Concordia Wisconsin had 23 ground balls and was 17-24 on the clear. The Falcons went 1-of-9 on man-up opportunities and recorded 35 shots. CUW incurred eight minutes and 30 seconds on nine infractions.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Garrett Wohlford (Rochester, Minn.) recorded 15 saves on the day, which is the seventh most in a game in program history.
- Paul Fisher (Champlin, Minn) had six turnovers, which is tied for the six most in a game in program history.
- Concordia Wisconsin will travel to Dubuque on Saturday with the opening Faceoff scheduled for 2:00 pm.