NAPERVILLE, Ill. – Concordia Wisconsin took advantage of the middle quarters of Wednesday night's game, outscoring North Central 8-3 during those 30 minutes of action before eventually winning 9-7 at Benedetti-Wehrli Stadium.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 9, North Central 7
Location: Benedetti-Wehrli Stadium (Naperville, Ill.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 5-4, North Central 7-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Cardinals entered the matchup with an undefeated 7-0 record and the Falcons were looking for a victory to gain momentum as they enter a stretch of four-straight Midwest Lacrosse Conference games.
- Concordia Wisconsin's offense rose to the occasion with eight goals – four in each of the second and third periods – to pull ahead of North Central by a large margin, 9-4, after 45 minutes of play.
- During the offensive outburst, five Falcons found the back of the net and several multiple times. Statistics were nearly evening during the middle quarters, except for the visitor's ability to get past North Central goalkeeper Ross Hixson.
- Sophomore Warren Kaminsky (Winnipeg, Manitoba), freshman Collin Berman (San Marcos, Calif.) and seniors Colin Raley (Inverness, Ill.) and Kellen Asmundson (Inver Grove Heights, Minn.) all had two goals apiece. Asmundson also assisted on three scores.
- Freshman Ben Gramarossa (Smithtown, N.Y.) won 12-of-19 faceoffs to help the Falcons gain possession, while freshman Ethan Danz (Appleton, Wis.) picked up a game-high six ground balls.
- Sophomore Garrett Wohlford (Rochester, Minn.) made 10 saves in the victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Berman's goals were the first of his career.
- The game was played clean with just three penalties assessed.
- North Central is a first-year program.
- Ethan Hurst led all scorers with a hat trick, while Jared Weaver netted a pair of goals. In all, four Cardinals scored in the non-conference game.
- Sean Tomonari and John Fitzgerald each had three caused turnovers to lead the defense.
- Ross Hixson made seven saves in a losing effort.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin hosts Fontbonne on Saturday during a 1 pm MLC contest at Fitting Field.