Click here to listen to Matt Menzl's audio call of the final seconds of regulation and the game-winning goal in overtime.
MEQUON, Wis. – Matt Garvey scored the equalizer with three seconds left in overtime to setup James Warner's overtime game-winning goal to give Concordia Wisconsin a 7-6 non-conference victory over Carthage.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 7, Carthage 6
Location: Fitting Field (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 8-3, Carthage 5-8
HOW IT HAPPENED
- James Warner received a pass on the right side of the Carthage defense and made a few moves before scoring the game-winner from a few yards out. The exciting finish was setup after Matt Garvey found the back of the net from point-blank range with three seconds left in regulation.
- The Falcons led 5-2 with 11:51 remaining in the game, but the Red Men tallied four unanswered goals during over the next eight-and-a-half minutes to take a 6-5 lead with 3:29 left on the scoreboard.
- Following a Carthage penalty for offside, CUW had the ball in its offensive zone and Garvey dodged his defender to get steps in front of the goal for the game-tying marker with just three seconds remaining in regulation.
- During the overtime period it was all Falcons as they took a pair of shots before Warner made his move to get in front of the Red Men's goalkeeper and shoot the thrilling score to excite the crowd.
- Statistics were even across the box score in the tightly contested match, but CUW held a slight 9-6 edge in faceoff wins. However, Carthage had a 21-16 lead in shots on goal and a 9-6 difference in caused turnovers.
- Warner (junior, Ham Lake, Minn.) ended the victory with a career-high-tying three goals and assisted on two scores, while freshman Stephen Gregory (Louisville, Ky.) had two goals. Senior Marino Best (Nanaimo, British Columbia) also had a goal.
- Senior Justin Herold (Winnipeg, Manitoba) led all players with a career-high six ground balls and senior Mark Wilson (Calgary, Alberta) caused a pair of turnovers. Freshman Jack Melby (Eagan, Minn.) won nine faceoffs and freshman Garrett Wohlford (Rochester, Minn.) made 15 saves in a complete game winning effort.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The victory ends the Falcons at 6-3 in non-conference play this season, which includes a 3-1 record at home.
- The overtime game was just the second in program history, with the previous being a 14-13 win at Augustana (March 15, 2014).
- Wohlford's 15 saves is tied for the fifth most in a single game in program history.
- Jared Ferrell and Luke Seydel each had two goals for the Red Men, while Billy Lane and Dylan Harris tallied a goal each.
- Jordyn Williams picked up a team-high four ground balls and caused two turnovers. Justin Proctor won six faceoffs and Ryan Smith made nine saves in goal.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- The Falcons return to Midwest Lacrosse Conference play for the remainder of the regular season, starting with a 1 pm contest on Saturday against Cornell at Fitting Field.