MEQUON, Wis. – Lake Forest scored three times in the third period to hand the Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Hockey team a 5-3 setback in the opening game of the Harris Cup Quarterfinals Friday night. The Falcons will now need to win tomorrow night to force a deciding mini-game. If Lake Forest wins or ties on Saturday night, the Foresters will advance to the Harris Cup Semifinals.
- Final Score: Lake Forest 5, Concordia Wisconsin 3
- Location: Ozaukee Ice Center – Mequon, Wisconsin
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 16-8-2, Lake Forest 14-10-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The game was tied 2-2 heading into the final stanza but the Foresters took over in the third. Kyler Magus broke the tie 5:10 into the final period and Drew Cleereman made the score 4-2 just over four minutes later.
- The Falcons made things interesting with 1:05 to play as Connor Hogg (London, Ontario) struck after CUW pulled goaltender Nick Malvin in favor of an extra skater. Hogg took advantage with Taylor Gauld (Whitby, Ontario) picking up an assist on the play.
- There would be no comeback, however, as the Foresters scored an empty-net goal with 29.6 seconds left on the clock, securing the 5-3 win. Cleereman tallied his second goal of the night to put the game away. He finished the contest with two goals and two assists.
- The game was scoreless after one period of play but CUW scored quickly into the second period to take a 1-0 lead. Gauld provided the game's first goal, an unassisted score.
- Lake Forest responded just 1:07 later to tie the game, with Zach Feldman providing the tying score. Charlie Izaguirre gave the Foresters their first lead 7:43 into the second on the game's only power play goal. The two teams did an outstanding job of staying out of the box, combining for just three penalties.
- Braydon Barker (Red Deer, Alberta) made sure the Falcons would go into the third period tied as he scored with 1:48 left in the second period. Dante Hahn (Victoria, British Columbia) and Josh Adkins (Victoria, British Columbia) assisted on the Barker score.
- Malvin (Ham Lake, Minn.) totaled 27 saves for the Falcons. Louis-Phillipe De Courcy stopped 34 shots for the Foresters, 17 of those in the final stanza.
- The Falcons and Foresters will play game two tomorrow at 7 p.m. If CUW wins, a mini-game will take place following tomorrow night's contest. If Lake Forest wins or ties, the Foresters will advance to the Harris Cup Playoffs Semifinals.
June 26, 2018 Barker collects 2017-18 Male Athlete of the Year Award
April 25, 2018 Men's Hockey celebrates 2017-18 Season
April 12, 2018 #HumboldtStrong
February 21, 2018 Men's Hockey places 12 on NCHA All-Academic Team
February 17, 2018 Men's Hockey season comes to an end in Harris Cup Quarterfinals
February 15, 2018 Rink Notes: CUW vs. LFC (Ticket Information provided - no free entrance)
February 9, 2018 Men's Hockey holds on against Trine, clinches home playoff series
February 7, 2018 Malvin named NCHA Defensive Player of the Week
February 3, 2018 Men's Hockey rides three goal second period to NCHA victory
February 2, 2018 Men's Hockey gets road victory against MSOE
January 27, 2018 Men's Hockey secures Border Battle Trophy with win over Foresters
January 26, 2018 Men's Hockey blanks Aurora
January 25, 2018 Men's, Women's Hockey ready for Pink the Rink
January 23, 2018 Pilet one of 11 nominations for the Hockey Humanitarian Award
January 20, 2018 Men's Hockey unable to slow down No. 3 Adrian
January 19, 2018 Malvin stops 30, leads Men's Hockey to NCHA win over Trine
January 18, 2018 Rink Notes: Falcons host Thunder, Bulldogs this weekend
January 13, 2018 Strong second period guides Men's Hockey to win at Northland
January 12, 2018 Men's Hockey drops NCHA road tilt at St. Scholastica
January 9, 2018 Hockey programs participate in Be the Match Registry Drive
January 5, 2018 Men's Hockey falls in NCHA battle with Marian
January 4, 2018 Rink Notes: Men's Hockey returns home for two NCHA contests
December 16, 2017 Hahn helps Falcons secure OT tie at UW-Stout
December 15, 2017 USCHO Feature: Hahn, Falcons off to a strong start
December 15, 2017 Guerra's power play goal caps third-period comeback for Men's Hockey
December 8, 2017 Men's Hockey falls to No. 9 UW-Stevens Point
December 2, 2017 Men's Hockey holds on for key NCHA win
December 1, 2017 Aurora deals Men's Hockey first home loss
November 29, 2017 Rink Notes: Men's Hockey battles Spartans Friday night
November 25, 2017 Men's Hockey settles for 2-2 tie against Johnnies
November 24, 2017 Men's Hockey silences Bethel, retains Thanksgiving Cup
November 22, 2017 Rink Notes: Falcons welcome MIAC foes for Thanksgiving weekend games
November 14, 2017 Malvin named NCHA Defensive Player of the Week
November 11, 2017 Men's Hockey takes care of Northland to remain perfect at home
November 10, 2017 Adkins, Malvin lead Men's Hockey past St. Scholastica
November 9, 2017 Rink Notes: Men's Hockey set for two NCHA home games
November 4, 2017 Romanuik blanks Finlandia for Men's Hockey NCHA road win
November 3, 2017 No. 1 St. Norbert pulls away from Men's Hockey in third period
November 1, 2017 Seel named NCHA Offensive Player of the Week
October 30, 2017 Men's Hockey ranked 15th by D3Hockey.com
October 28, 2017 Seel's four-point effort lifts Men's Hockey over UW-Superior
October 27, 2017 Rink Notes: Men's Hockey opens 2017-18 campaign this weekend
October 20, 2017 Men's Hockey tabbed sixth in NCHA Preseason Poll
October 4, 2017 Eight from Men's Hockey honored as AHCA All-American Scholars
June 1, 2017 Men's Hockey adds Jensen as Assistant Coach