MEQUON, Wis. – Aurora built a two-goal lead in the first period and was able to hold on, handing the Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Hockey team its first home setback of the 2017-18 season. The Falcons, who are now 6-2-1 on the year, couldn't overcome the slow start in a 4-3 final.
- Final Score: Aurora 4, Concordia Wisconsin 3
- Location: Ozaukee Ice Center – Mequon, Wisconsin
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 6-2-1, 3-2 NCHA; Aurora 2-6-2, 1-3-1 NCHA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Spartans struck twice in the opening stanza with Tim Santopoalo scoring the game's first goal nine minutes in. Aurora would add a shorthanded goal with 3:35 left in the period off the stick of Rihards Marenis. On the shorthanded goal, Falcons goaltender Jack Romanuik (Melfort, Saskatchewan) was injured and Nick Malvin (Ham Lake, Minn.) replaced him for the remainder of the game.
- CUW got on the scoreboard 4:18 into the second on the second score of the year from freshman Nick Guerra (Victoria, British Columbia). Matt Valure (Hermantown, Minn.) found Guerra for the score, which cut the Aurora lead to 2-1. The Spartans would respond at the 8:47 mark on a power play goal by Josh Delezenne.
- The Falcons once again got within a goal at the 14:24 mark of the second period. Jim Pearson (Ashton, Ontario) scored on a deflection off a shot from Braydon Barker (Red Deer, Alberta). Barker, along with Dante Hahn (Victoria, British Columbia) tallied assists on the play.
- The Spartans had another answer on a fortunate bounce with 1:10 left in the period. After a Spartans shot sailed well wide of Malvin, the puck bounced right back to a perfect rebound position for Aaron Roschinsky to make the score 4-2 heading into the final stanza.
- The final period was dominated by the Falcons in terms of puck possession, but CUW was only able to cut the Aurora lead to 4-3. It was Hahn who tallied the third-period score with Josh Adkins (Victoria, British Columbia) picking up an assist.
- Malvin finished the game with 14 saves in 42:09 of action. Romanuik tallied seven stops for the Falcons. Josh Boyko made 20 saves in gaining the win for Aurora.
- The Falcons will visit Lake Forest for an NCHA tilt tomorrow night. Puck drop is set for 7 p.m.
June 26, 2018 Barker collects 2017-18 Male Athlete of the Year Award
April 25, 2018 Men's Hockey celebrates 2017-18 Season
April 12, 2018 #HumboldtStrong
February 21, 2018 Men's Hockey places 12 on NCHA All-Academic Team
February 17, 2018 Men's Hockey season comes to an end in Harris Cup Quarterfinals
February 15, 2018 Rink Notes: CUW vs. LFC (Ticket Information provided - no free entrance)
February 9, 2018 Men's Hockey holds on against Trine, clinches home playoff series
February 7, 2018 Malvin named NCHA Defensive Player of the Week
February 3, 2018 Men's Hockey rides three goal second period to NCHA victory
February 2, 2018 Men's Hockey gets road victory against MSOE
January 27, 2018 Men's Hockey secures Border Battle Trophy with win over Foresters
January 26, 2018 Men's Hockey blanks Aurora
January 25, 2018 Men's, Women's Hockey ready for Pink the Rink
January 23, 2018 Pilet one of 11 nominations for the Hockey Humanitarian Award
January 20, 2018 Men's Hockey unable to slow down No. 3 Adrian
January 19, 2018 Malvin stops 30, leads Men's Hockey to NCHA win over Trine
January 18, 2018 Rink Notes: Falcons host Thunder, Bulldogs this weekend
January 13, 2018 Strong second period guides Men's Hockey to win at Northland
January 12, 2018 Men's Hockey drops NCHA road tilt at St. Scholastica
January 9, 2018 Hockey programs participate in Be the Match Registry Drive
January 5, 2018 Men's Hockey falls in NCHA battle with Marian
January 4, 2018 Rink Notes: Men's Hockey returns home for two NCHA contests
December 16, 2017 Hahn helps Falcons secure OT tie at UW-Stout
December 15, 2017 USCHO Feature: Hahn, Falcons off to a strong start
December 15, 2017 Guerra's power play goal caps third-period comeback for Men's Hockey
December 8, 2017 Men's Hockey falls to No. 9 UW-Stevens Point
December 2, 2017 Men's Hockey holds on for key NCHA win
December 1, 2017 Aurora deals Men's Hockey first home loss
November 29, 2017 Rink Notes: Men's Hockey battles Spartans Friday night
November 25, 2017 Men's Hockey settles for 2-2 tie against Johnnies
November 24, 2017 Men's Hockey silences Bethel, retains Thanksgiving Cup
November 22, 2017 Rink Notes: Falcons welcome MIAC foes for Thanksgiving weekend games
November 14, 2017 Malvin named NCHA Defensive Player of the Week
November 11, 2017 Men's Hockey takes care of Northland to remain perfect at home
November 10, 2017 Adkins, Malvin lead Men's Hockey past St. Scholastica
November 9, 2017 Rink Notes: Men's Hockey set for two NCHA home games
November 4, 2017 Romanuik blanks Finlandia for Men's Hockey NCHA road win
November 3, 2017 No. 1 St. Norbert pulls away from Men's Hockey in third period
November 1, 2017 Seel named NCHA Offensive Player of the Week
October 30, 2017 Men's Hockey ranked 15th by D3Hockey.com
October 28, 2017 Seel's four-point effort lifts Men's Hockey over UW-Superior
October 27, 2017 Rink Notes: Men's Hockey opens 2017-18 campaign this weekend
October 20, 2017 Men's Hockey tabbed sixth in NCHA Preseason Poll
October 4, 2017 Eight from Men's Hockey honored as AHCA All-American Scholars
June 1, 2017 Men's Hockey adds Jensen as Assistant Coach