MENOMONIE, Wis. - The Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Hockey team went on the road for a non-conference game against UW-Stout Friday night. The Falcons, who defeated the Blue Devils earlier this season, were unable to complete the season sweep, falling by a 3-1 score.
- Final Score: UW-Stout 3, Concordia Wisconsin 1
- Location: Fanetti Community Center – Menomonie, Wisconsin
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 9-7-1; UW-Stout 9-8-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It was the Falcons who struck first on Friday as freshman Josh Adkins (Victoria, British Columbia) scored his third goal of the season 12:42 into the first period. Sophomore Adam Fauchoux (Prince Albert, Saskatchewan) assisted on the Falcons only goal of the contest.
- The Blue Devils got going in the second period with a pair of goals scored within 54 seconds of one another. Adam Kresl tied the game with a power play score 6:57 into the second, while Connor Valesano struck for the game-winner just 54 seconds later.
- Austin Jackson scored the game's final goal for UW-Stout, coming with 6:25 left in regulation.
- Sophomore Nick Malvin (Ham Lake, Minn.) made his second start of the season and first since the opening weekend for the Falcons. He finished the night with 27 saves, 10 each in the second and third periods.
- The Falcons finished with a 34-30 edge in shots. Spencer Viele had a strong night for the host Blue Devils, making 33 saves for his fifth win of the season.
- The game didn't feature too many penalties with the teams combining for 20 minutes in the box. The Falcons were whistled just four times for eight minutes in the box, while the Blue Devils had six infractions for 12 penalty minutes. UW-Stout was 1-for-2 on the power play, while CUW was scoreless on four power play tries.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The game was the final non-conference matchup for the Falcons this season. CUW was 3-2-0 in non-conference play with two wins over Bethel and the 3-2 win over UW-Stout on November 19. The Falcons will close the season with eight conference games beginning next weekend.
- CUW will play a home-and-home series against No. 1 St. Norbert next weekend. The opening game will be on the road Friday night and is set for a 6 p.m. start in De Pere. The Falcons will then host the Green Knights Saturday night at 7 p.m.