ASHLAND, Wis. – Northland College struck for two third-period goals, making the Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Hockey team settle for a 2-2 tie on Saturday afternoon. With the tie, the Falcons will now await the results of the Lake Forest-Lawrence game on Saturday night to see if they qualify for the NCHA Playoffs. CUW needs Lake Forest to tie or lose to advance.
- Final score: Concordia Wisconsin 2, Northland 2 (Final/OT)
- Location: Bay Area Civic Center – Ashland, Wis.
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 11-11-3, 7-10-3 NCHA; Northland 7-15-3, 6-12-2 NCHA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Junior David Haaf (Medicine Hat, Alberta) had both the Falcon goals on Saturday, scoring once each in the first and second periods. Haaf made it 1-0 10:10 into play on a goal assisted by freshman Adam Fauchoux (Prince Albert, Saskatchewan) and sophomore Anthony Pickering (Sylvan Lake, Alberta). His second score came 4:00 into the second and was assisted by junior Brandt Weldon (The Pas, Manitoba) and freshman Taylor Gauld (Whitby, Ontario).
- Northland would make its comeback in the third period with two goals, the latter of those coming with 2:13 left in regulation. It was Jason Reynolds who scored the game-tying goal, with an assist from Anthony Stempin. Stempin scored the first goal of the period.
- Freshman Jack Romanuik (Melfort, Saskatchewan) finished with 34 saves for the Falcons, moving his record to 7-5-2 on the season. CUW finished the game with a 45-36 edge in shots.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons will be big fans of Lawrence tonight, needing the Vikings to at least tie Lake Forest. Lake Forest won last night's meeting by a 4-2 score and have won three straight entering play tonight.
- The Falcons fate will come down to the Foresters and Vikings. If CUW clinches a playoff spot, it will battle Marian in the opening round next weekend.