ASHLAND, Wis. – Freshman Taylor Gauld scored 1:17 into overtime, lifting to the Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Hockey team to a much needed 6-5 win over Northland Friday night. The win kept CUW in control of its own destiny for the final playoff spot out of the South Division for the NCHA Playoffs. The win also gave the Falcons the program record for most victories in a season.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 6, Northland 5 (F/OT)
- Location: Bay Area Civic Center – Ashland, Wis.
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 11-11-2, 7-10-2 NCHA; Northland 7-15-2, 6-12-1 NCHA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After surrendering a two-goal lead in the third period, Gauld (Whitby, Ontario) delivered the winner early into the extra session. Junior David Haaf (Medicine Hat, Alberta) assist on the score.
- The Falcons had a 2-1 lead after one period of play thanks to opening stanza goals from sophomore Anthony Pickering (Sylvan Lake, Alberta) and freshman Dion Antisin (Kelowna, British Columbia). Antisin's was the first of his collegiate career and was assisted by senior Buster Hebda (Firestone, Colo.). Junior Brandt Weldon (The Pas, Manitoba) and Gauld aided the Pickering score.
- Northland would tie the game at 2-2 at the 8:18 mark of the second, but the Falcons took back the lead 58 seconds later on a score from freshman Eric Therrien (Willow Bunch, Saskatchewan). Gauld helped on that goal, while Therrien had one of two assists on a Jared Pilet (Seattle, Wash.) goal scored at the 11:35 mark of the second. Freshman Connor Hogg (London, Ontario) also assisted on the Pilet score.
- The score was 4-3 heading into the third period, but sophomore Braden Crone (Metiskow, Alberta) netted a power play goal 8:58 into the third for a 5-3 advantage. Freshmen Stefen Seel (Invermere, British Columbia) and Nick Erb (London, Ontario) assisted on the play. Northland would respond, however, with two third period goals, sending the game to overtime.
- Freshman Jack Romanuik picked up his seventh win of the season for the Falcons, making 32 saves.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The win was the 11th of the season for the Falcons, which is a new program record. CUW won 10 games in 2013-14.
- The Falcons head into tomorrow's matchup with Northland needing to at least equal whatever Lake Forest does against Lawrence. CUW and Lake Forest are tied for the final playoff spot, with the Falcons holding the tiebreaker due to a better goal differential in this seasons matchups against the Foresters.
- Romanuik tied the single-season record for most wins by a goaltender with his seventh of the season. Domingo Torrenueva (2013-14) is the other Falcons goalie to reach seven wins in a season.
- The overtime win was the fourth in program history for the Falcons, but also the second in three weeks. CUW also defeated No. 13 St. Scholastica two weeks ago on a game-winning score from Crone with 8.9 seconds remaining.
- The Falcons will attempt to clinch the final playoff spot tomorrow against the Lumberjacks. CUW and Northland are set for a 2 p.m. puck drop.