MEQUON, Wis. – Freshman Adam Fauchoux scored with 4:03 remaining in regulation and goaltender Andy Munroe stopped 39 shots as the Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Hockey team settled for a 2-2 tie against Lawrence University Saturday night at the Ozaukee Ice Center. The Falcons remained unbeaten at home in 2015-16 with Saturday's result.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 2, Lawrence 2
- Location: Ozaukee Ice Center – Mequon, Wis.
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 8-4-2, 5-3-2 NCHA; Lawrence 4-8-1, 3-4-1 NCHA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Vikings built off the momentum they gained in last night's game (a 2-0 Lawrence win) with a goal 1:20 into play from Luke McDiarmid. Austin Frank and Brad Mueller has assists on the opening score.
- CUW would answer exactly five minutes later as freshman Nick Erb (London, Ontario) tallied his fifth goal of the season. Erb's score was assisted by junior Josh Herrington (Aurora, Ontario) and sophomore Anthony Pickering (Sylvan Lake, Alberta) and made the score 1-1, which would hold until the third period.
- The Falcons caught an unlucky break on the second score for Lawrence. Munroe, who made several big saves on Saturday, appeared to lose where the puck was as it slid past his skate for a goal, which was credited to Steve Hughes 5:17 into the third period.
- CUW would answer as Fauchoux (Prince Albert, Saskatchewan) netted his third goal of the season, which would go down as the game-tying score. Junior Tanner Bull (Brooklin, Ontario) and senior Trammell Lynes (Edmonton, Alberta) picked up assists on the Fauchoux score.
- Munroe was impressive on Saturday, which resulted in a career-best 39 saves. He made 14 of those stops in the second period and added 10 in the third and four more in the overtime session. His counterpart, Mattias Soderqvist, also played well, finishing with 40 saves.
- Neither team has success on the power play as CUW was 0-for-4 with the man advantage, while Lawrence finished the night scoreless on five chances.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons remained unbeaten at home with the result, moving their record at the Ozaukee Ice Center to 6-0-2. The six wins are already a single season record for home victories for CUW.
- Munroe's 39 saves were a season best for any Falcons goaltender. The 41 shots Lawrence put up on Saturday were also a season high for any CUW opponent.
- The Falcons are back in action next weekend with another crucial NCHA series, this one coming against Marian. The opener will be in Fond du Lac on Friday night at 7 p.m., while the two teams have a date set for Saturday at the Ozaukee Ice Center as well.