Skip to navigation Skip to content

Men's Hockey dominates Marian in season-ending victory

Men's Hockey dominates Marian in season-ending victory

MEQUON, Wis. – It was a fitting end to the 2012-13 season for Concordia University Wisconsin's men's hockey team as they dominated Marian University en route to a 6-3 win inside the Ozaukee Ice Center during Midwest Collegiate Hockey Association play.

A night after the Falcons scored three power-play goals, but dropped a 4-3 decision, they earned a victory for three seniors and a check in the win column for head coach Jasen Wise, after he coached MU, his former team, for eight seasons prior to taking the job at CUW.

CUW (7-18-0, 7-12-0 MCHA) tallied two goals in the opening period before marking the scoreboard three times in the second frame to take a commanding 5-0 lead. Freshman Chris Hughes (Dundee, Mich.) scored twice for the Falcons, while junior Brandon Bayer (Milwaukee, Wis.) and freshman Trammell Lynes (Edmonton, Alberta) each recorded two assists apiece.

Senior Billy Sias (Bloomington, Minn.) recorded 21 saves to earn the win between the pipes. CUW outshot MU 35-24 in the game and converted the contest's only power-play score.

Hughes and Bayer scored goals two minutes and 33 seconds apart from each other in the opening frame to give the Falcons a 2-0 advantage. The scoreboard kept increasing for the Falcons as freshman James Poston (Sylvania, Ohio) sophomore Morgan Sanchez (Corona, Calif.) and Hughes all lit the lamp in the second period. Freshman Kevin Michelcavage (Sterling Heights, Mich.) tallied a insurance goal to begin the third period.

The six goals scored by CUW was a season-best. In addition, the seven wins overall and in MCHA play was also a single season program record.

The shots on goal were tough to come by for the Sabres, as CUW's defense held them to just five shots on goal in the first and third periods.

MU (13-11-1, 12-8-0 MCHA) made things interesting in the final period as it scored three goals within a two minute and 41 second span. CUW called timeout and regrouped back to its first and second period play on the ice to take back the momentum for good.