HAVEN, Wis. – The weather was vastly improved from Sunday's opening round and the scores were lower as a result during the second round of the NACC Men's Golf Championship at Whistling Straits – The Irish Course. Concordia Wisconsin remained in third place as a team and each of the five Falcon golfers shot rounds in the 70s.
Course: Whistling Straits – Irish Course (par 72, 6,796 yards)
Team Leaderboard: 3rd of 9 (334-302 – 636)
Falcon Individuals: Dylan Karvala (80-75 – 155), Sam Schlosser (85-75 – 160), Nate Benjamin (84-78 – 162), Andrew Otto (85-77 – 162), Bailey VanHandel (dnc-75), Jordan Carlton (89-dnc)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With temperatures in the mid-70s and the sun shining, Concordia Wisconsin found its groove and each of the five in the lineup shot between 75 and 78. As a unit, they weren't able to move up the team leaderboard after shooting a 302, which is tied for the third lowest round in program history.
- Sophomore Dylan Karvala (New Berlin, Wis.) remained atop the Falcons lineup after carding a 75 and is in sixth overall. He drained a birdie and 13 pars during his 3-over par round.
- The reigning NACC Player of the Year, Sam Schlosser (West Bend, Wis.) returned to form with a 75, which included five birdies and 10 pars. He had a stretch from holes four through eight that he played in 4-under par. The junior moved up two spots into a tie for 13th place.
- Sophomore Nate Benjamin (Tucson, Ariz.) was six shots better with a 78 and is in a tie for 17th on the leaderboard. He made a birdie on the par 5 fifth to go along with 10 pars. He pared holes 11 through 16 on the back nine.
- Junior Andrew Otto (Kewaskum, Wis.) made an eight-shot improvement and signed for a 77. He is in a tie for 17th after making a birdie and 11 par putts.
- Senior Bailey VanHandel (Kaukauna, Wis.) was inserted into the lineup and helped the Falcons team score with a 3-over par 75. He sank a pair of birdies on the front nine and 11 pars overall.
- Edgewood pulled in front of Aurora after shooting a 288 and leads the field by six shots.
- Josh Hentrich (Edgewood) shot a 3-under par 69 with five birdies to vault himself to the top of the leaderboard by two shots. He is 4-over for the tournament.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin will compete in the spring in preparation for the final two rounds of the NACC Championship, which is scheduled for April 28-29 at Stonebridge Country Club in Aurora, Illinois.
June 11, 2019 Men's Golf takes step forward in 2018-19
April 28, 2019 Men's Golf slips to fourth at NACC Championships
April 23, 2019 Falcon Focus Podcast (April 23, 2019)
April 23, 2019 Men’s Golf shoots program record
April 20, 2019 Men's Golf places 8th at Take Back the Night Tournament
April 13, 2019 Men's Golf wins WLC Spring Invitational
April 7, 2019 Men's Golf excels at Marian Spring Invitational
April 4, 2019 Men's Golf takes fifth at Clarke Spring Invitational
March 30, 2019 Men's Golf shoots 36-hole program record
October 1, 2018 Men’s Golf competes at MSOE Invitational
September 23, 2018 Carlton takes fifth overall at WLC Fall Invitational
September 18, 2018 Falcon Focus Podcast (September 18, 2018)
September 15, 2018 Men's Golf represents at Midwest Region Fall Classic
September 8, 2018 Men’s Golf competes at Tim Kopka Memorial Tournament
August 31, 2018 Falcons open up season at Culver's Edgewood Fall Classic
August 28, 2018 #CUWStatsInfo: Men's Golf ready to take next step in 2018