HAVEN, Wis. – With temperatures in the low 50s, winds blowing off Lake Michigan and a steady strong mist the NACC Men's Golf Championship opening round immediately became a lot more difficult than anticipated. As a result, scoring was difficult and Concordia Wisconsin finds itself in third place, while Dylan Karvala sits in a tie for fifth at Whistling Straits – Irish Course.
Course: Whistling Straits – Irish Course (par 72, 6,796 yards)
Team Leaderboard: 3rd of 9 (334)
Falcon Individuals: Dylan Karvala (80), Nate Benjamin (84), Andrew Otto (85), Sam Schlosser (85), Jordan Carlton (89)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Concordia Wisconsin began the day in the first wave of tee times, which allowed them to go ahead of the conditions a little, but it played a factor all the way around. The Falcons carded a team score of 334 and find themselves six shots back of first place Aurora and Edgewood.
- Karvala (sophomore, New Berlin, Wis.) had the low round of the day for the Falcons with an 8-over par 80, which included a birdie on the par 5 fifth hole and 10 pars. He sits in a tie for fifth place shot a 1-over 37 on the front nine before shooting a 43 on the back.
- Sophomore Nate Benjamin (Tucson, Ariz.) began his round with a birdie and followed it with four pars in a row, but eventually had to sign for an 84 and is in 14th. Overall, he had eight pars to his credit.
Junior Andrew Otto (Kewaskum, Wis.) drained a birdie on the par 4 17th hole and seven pars throughout his round of 85. Junior Sam Schlosser (West Bend, Wis.) signed for an 85 after making six pars on the front nine for a 39. Both golfers are in a tie for 15th.
- Freshman Jordan Carlton (Kewaskum, Wis.) walked off the course with an 89 and is in a tie for 27th. He had a birdie on the par 4 fourth and five pars on the day.
- Aurora and Edgewood are tied atop the team leaderboard with a 328 total.
- Stephen Bukielski (Wisconsin Lutheran) leads the field with a 3-over par 75.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin will tee off on Monday at 11:50 am during the second round of the NACC Championship.