HAVEN, Wis. – Sam Schlosser shot a career round of 1-under par 71 on Sunday afternoon during the first 18 holes of the NACC Men's Golf Championship to put himself in first place at Whistling Straits – Irish Course, while Concordia Wisconsin finds itself in fifth place overall.
Course: Whistling Straits – Irish Course (par 72, 6,750 yards)
Team Leaderboard: 5th of 9 (324)
Falcon Individuals: Sam Schlosser (71), Nathan Hasenstein (81), Nate Benjamin (86), Andrew Otto (86), Jacob Tenlen (90)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Schlosser (sophomore, West Bend, Wis.) pared the opening hole, had a setback with a bogey on the par 4 second, before putting together an outstanding five-hole stretch of golf. He birdied the third, fifth, sixth and seventh holes to put himself at 3-under par. He eventually would go on to shoot a front nine 33.
- The righty made four pars to begin the back nine and seven in total to shoot a 38, for a career round of 1-under par 71, which puts him in first place overall.
- Concordia Wisconsin is in fifth place overall with a 324 first round score.
- Senior Nathan Hasenstein (Sheboygan, Wis.) carded an 81, which included two birdies and seven pars, to put himself in 17th on the leaderboard.
- Sophomore Andrew Otto (Kewaskum, Wis.) had an 86 after making two birdies and seven pars, which is good for a tie for 27th position.
- Freshman Nate Benjamin (Tucson, Ariz.) is also in a tie for 27th after shooting an 86. He had 10 pars and shot a 1-over 37 on the front nine.
- Junior Jacob Tenlen (Montreal, Wis.) signed for a 90 after making five pars during the opening round.
BEYOND THE RESULTS
- Schlosser is the only golfer to shoot under par and is two shots ahead of John Torres (Aurora). He was 2-under on par 3s to lead the field.
- The Falcons rank second in par 4 scoring average at 4.62.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin will compete in the second round on Monday, which is the second round of the NACC Championship and the last 18 holes played this fall. They will play in rounds three and four of the championship on April 22-23 at Stonebridge Country Club in Aurora, Ill.