FOND dU LAC, Wis. – Bill Jones had a career tournament and tied for second place to lead Concordia University Wisconsin to a third place finish at the Marian University Invitational on Sunday afternoon.
Course: Whispering Springs Golf Course (Saturday), Rolling Meadows Golf Course (Sunday)
CUW Finish: 3rd/10 (322-309 = 631)
Falcon Individual Results: Bill Jones 77-76 (153), Kyle Rebholz 78-78 (156), Chris Payne 82-79 (161), Evan Rabas 85-77 (162), Mike Loftus 85-78 (163)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons were in third place after the opening 18 holes of play and finished in third after the 36-hole tournament was completed. They shot a 322-309 (631) team total.
- CUW was 13 shots off eventual tournament champion and host Marian who shot a 313-305 (618) team total.
- Junior Bill Jones (New Holstein, Wis.) had a career tournament with a tie for second place, the best finish of his career. He shot a 77-76 (153), which was eight shots off the medalist score.
- Rebholz carded back-to-back rounds of 78, which were two shots off his career low round.
- Senior Chris Payne (Waukesha, Wis.) fired an 82-79 (161) to tie for 16th place. He was tied for 12th after the opening round.
- Reigning Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference Player of the Year Evan Rabas (Sherwood, Wis.) struggled in the first round with an 85, but bounced back and carded a 77 to finish in 20th place.
- Senior Mike Loftus (Germantown, Wis.) rounded out the Falcons lineup with an 85-78 (163) to finish in 21st place.
BEYOND THE RESULTS
- Their second round 309 team score was tied for the second lowest round of the event and was the fifth best round shot in program history.
- Jones and Rebholz were both in the top five on the leaderboard after the opening round and paced the Falcons with scores under 160.
- Last season the Falcons sent two teams to the tournament and not one player shot in the 70s for both rounds. As well, CUW carded a low round of 318, which was nine shots more than the low round on Sunday.
- CUW will return to the links on Tuesday for the Elmhurst College Fall Invitational at Oak Brook Golf Club in Oak Brook, Ill.