MILWAUKEE, Wis. -- Concordia Wisconsin surely didn't pack it in and say is just an exhibition on Tuesday night, instead, they used a no-quit attitude to outscore NCAA Division I opponent Milwaukee by 12 points over the last 14 minutes of the game. The Panthers would eventually earn a 72-62 victory in a game that counted for them as their regular-season opener.
Final Score: Milwaukee 72, Concordia Wisconsin 62
Location: UWM Panther Arena (Milwaukee, Wis.)
Records: Milwaukee 1-0, Concordia Wisconsin 0-0*
*Game was an exhibition for Concordia Wisconsin
QUOTING HEAD COACH SHAWN CASSIDY
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Concordia Wisconsin was within two points, 25-23, with three minutes and 19 seconds to play before halftime after an Olalekan George layup. Milwaukee responded with 9-0 scoring run to end the first half and that momentum continued into the second half with 16-2 scoring run over six minutes to own a 22-point advantage with 13:55 to play in the game. The Falcons could have conceded and emptied the bench to get everyone involved in the exhibition for them and what counted as a regular-season game for the Panthers.
- Instead, they were able to knock down a trio of 3-pointers during the several possessions to follow to slowly make a statement that they weren't going to quit. The offense found a rhythm with more movement and cutting, while the defense was able to limit the Panthers to 2-of-11 from downtown.
- While it ended up being a loss, the key was the Falcons' ability to stay within their style of play and find lineups that worked well together in their first competition against someone other than themselves at practice.
- George (senior, Milwaukee, Wis.) led the Falcons with 16 points on 5-of-11 shooting (6-of-7 free throws), to go along with five rebounds and two steals. Junior Joey Zietlow (Oak Creek, WIs.) added 12 points, nine rebounds and three assists.
- Sophomore Jared Jurss (Sheboygan, Wis.) tallied seven assists to one turnover and Concordia Wisconsin equaled Milwaukee's 32 points in the paint and lost the rebounding battle by just two (44-42).
- The Falcons also made 14-of-20 free throws, compared to the Panthers 11-of-16.
- TeJon Lucas led Milwaukee with 19 points, seven rebounds, seven assists and two steals.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin will begin its regular season on November 15 in a road game against UW-La Crosse at 4 pm as part of the Loras Tip-Off Classic. The Falcons will play host Loras on November 16 at 6 pm.
December 7, 2019 Falcons fly past Eagles in second half
December 4, 2019 Keller shines in close victory
November 27, 2019 Falcons can't slow down Warriors
November 26, 2019 Jared Jurss named NACC Student-Athlete of the Week
November 23, 2019 Falcons down Dominican in NACC opener
November 16, 2019 Men's Basketball drops game at Loras
November 15, 2019 Falcons fall in season-opener to UW-Lacrosse
November 5, 2019 Falcons put up valiant effort in exhibition at Milwaukee
November 4, 2019 Season preview: Men's Basketball prepared to defend title
October 24, 2019 Men's Basketball picked fifth in NACC Preseason Poll