Mequon, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin and the Edgewood Eagles battled in a Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference showdown, that went down to the wire, as the Falcons prevailed with an 81-78 victory behind hot shooting in the extra period.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 81, Edgewood 78
Location: R. John Buuck Field House (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 6-4 (6-1 NACC); Edgewood 3-9 (3-4 NACC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After the final buzzer and with the score knotted at 64 apiece at the end of regulation, both teams regrouped and prepared to go toe-to-toe in an overtime period that would end up deciding the winner. Concordia Wisconsin got off to a great start, as they made their first three shots of the five-minute period to take a 71-68 lead with 3:13 remaining, freshman Jared Jurss (Sheboygan, Wis.) hit a free throw to push the score to 72-68 and give the momentum to the Falcons. Jake Negus sunk two free throws in response to pull the Eagles within two points with the score settling at 72-70 with the Falcons on top.
- Senior Josh Hau (Slinger, Wis.) gave CUW a rainbowing 3-pointer that scorched the bottom of the net to push the lead to five points, with Concordia Wisconsin leading 75-70. The Eagles did pull back within two points after Negus made a layup, and then a 3-pointer after a Jake Jurss layup of his own, to make it 77-75 with only 21 seconds remaining in the contest. Jordan Johnson would go a perfect, 4-for-4 from the free throw line to seal the victory for the Falcons at 81-78 and give CUW their sixth conference victory.
- Both halfs were tightly contested, as the Eagles and Falcons traded buckets, with Edgewood gaining the one point, 30-29 advantage going into halftime. Concordia Wisconsin did one better in the second half scoring a total of 35 second half points compared to the Eagles 34 points to tie up the score at 64 apiece.
- Concordia Wisconsin's Hau finished with a team high 19 points, while also corralling six rebounds. Senior Andrew Fratzke (Winona, Minn.) was also a force in the paint, as he netted 18 points on 7-of-13 shooting. Johnson recorded a double-double with 14 points and a team high 10 rebounds. The Falcons as a unit shot 42.3 percent from the field, and had 20 bench points, as freshman Brandon Keller (Plymouth, Wis.) had 11 points with some highlight reel type dunks.
- Edgewood's Negus had a great game, as he tallied 25 points and dished out three helpers. Emil Radisevic had a team high 11 rebounds for the Eagles.
- CUW will have a quick turnaround, as they will play Marian at 4:15 pm on Saturday inside the R. John Buuck Field House.