Fond Du Lac – Concordia Wisconsin came away with an 81-66 victory against the Marian Sabres inside the Howard L. Sadoff Gymnasium behind an early second half run that catapulted the Falcons to a 17-point lead that kept CUW at arm's length for the rest of the game.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 81, Marian 66
Location: Howard L. Sadoff Gymnasium (Fond Du Lac, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 5-2 (5-0 NACC); Marian 2-6 (1-5 NACC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In a tightly contested game, after going into the halftime break with a one-point, 33-32 deficit; Concordia Wisconsin battled back and held a five-point advantage, 45-40, with 16:06 remaining in the second half, as senior Josh Hau (Slinger, Wis.) and senior Noah Gosse (Green Bay, Wis.) tacked on three more points after a technical foul. The free throws gave CUW a 48-40 lead and they did not look back, as the Falcons went on an 11-2 run to keep the Sabres at a distance for the rest of the contest.
- Concordia Wisconsin kept at least a 10-point lead for the rest of the game to go onto capture the 81-66 victory and stay undefeated in Northern Athletic Colligate Conference. The Falcons were fueled by a 13-point second half performance from senior Jake Jurss (Sheboygan, Wis., who went, 4-6, from the field and 3-5 from behind the arch.
- The balance from the CUW offense has been a key to victory, as the Falcons had all five starters score in double digits. Along with Hau and Jurss, junior Olalekan George (Milwaukee, Wis.), senior Andrew Fratzke (Winona, Minn.), and sophomore Jordan Johnson (Cedarburg, Wis.) all pasted the 10-point mark on the night.
- Points in the paint amassed to a total of 52 on the night for the visitors and they did a great job on the boards with 41 total rebounds that led to 20 second chance points. Concordia Wisconsin shot 46.3% from the field on, 31-67 shooting. Marian saw production from Tristan Van Ess, who netted 18 points and Tavaris McCullough who chipped in 16 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons have dominated the series between the two programs, as CUW holds a, 30-10 record against the Sabres.
- Concordia Wisconsin will be in action next on Wednesday against Illinois Tech with tipoff scheduled for 8:15 pm.