Madison, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin came away with their fourth straight victory over NACC foe Edgewood. The Falcons used a second half surge to power past the Eagles and move to 4-0 in conference play.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 74, Edgewood 56
Location: Todd Wehr (Madison, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 4-2 (4-0 NACC); Edgewood 2-5 (2-2 NACC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After coming out of the locker rooms with a one-point 34-33 lead going into halftime, the Falcons made the right adjustments and built a lead on the Eagles. CUW held a 10-point 63-53 lead with 6:48 remaining in regulation after momentum building buckets by freshman Jared Jurss (Sheboygan, Wis.) and sophomore Jordan Johnson (Cedarburg, Wis.). The Falcons defense would go onto hold Edgewood to only three points in the final seven minutes of the game to secure the 74-56 victory.
- Concordia Wisconsin pushed the lead up to eight points 48-40 with 16:02 remaining in the contest. Edgewood clawed their way back, to cut the deficit to three points 54-51 with just over 11 minutes in the second half. The Falcons responded by locking down the defensive side of the ball and giving their offense a chance to separate themselves from the Eagles.
- Getting quality shots was an emphasis for CUW, as they recorded 54 total points in the paint on the night, as the guards slashed to rim on multiple occasions. Concordia Wisconsin also received a lift from the bench, as their biggest contributors in relief came from Jurss and sophomore Joey Zietlow (Oak Creek, Wis.) who both chipped in six points on the night.
- The previous victories came with the Falcons shooting over 50 percent from the field and that didn't change in this conference win. Concordia Wisconsin shot 50.8 percent from the field, and continued their streak of five straight games over that mark. CUW also grabbed 41 rebounds had 15 second chance points. Senior Jake Jurss (Sheboygan, Wis.) led the team with 14 points, while senior Josh Hau (Slinger, Wis.) had a team-high eight rebounds.
- Concordia Wisconsin will be back in action when they travel to Marian next Saturday with tipoff scheduled for 4:15 pm.