River Forest, Ill. – Concordia Wisconsin entered their third game of the season looking for their first win of the 2018-2019 campaign and they got just that, as the Falcons used a 16-to-2 scoring run in the second half to overwhelm Concordia Chicago and come away with a 95-86 victory inside the Geiseman Gymnasium.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 95, Concordia Chicago 86
Location: Geiseman Gymnasium (River Forest, Ill.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 1-2 (1-0 NACC); Concordia Chicago 1-2 (1-1 NACC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The second half saw Concordia Wisconsin pull away even more from the hosts, as CUW went on a 16-2 run that was highlighted by a perfect bounce pass from Senior Jake Jurss (Sheboygan, Wis.) to senior Josh Hau (Slinger, Wis.) on a back door cut that resulted in a wide open two points to energized the 16 point run to open up the second half.
- The three minute and thirty-one second run saw CUW go 6-7 from the field and 2-3 from behind the arch. The scoring run pushed the lead to 62-39 in favor of Concordia Wisconsin. Junior Olalekan George (Milwaukee, Wis.) scored five points during that stretch. The last minute of the contest did tighten up, as Concordia Chicago cut the lead down to nine points, but ran out of time to try and mount anymore of a comeback resulting in the 95-86 Concordia Wisconsin victory.
- After a tough start to the season against two top 25 ranked opponents, the Falcons tallied their first win against conference foe Concordia Chicago. The victory was a team effort for Concordia Wisconsin, as the balanced offense stretched the Cougar defense in multiple ways going 18-32 from the field in the first half to hold a nine-point 46-37 halftime lead. Concordia Wisconsin would see three players pass the 20-point mark on the night.
- In the first half, the Falcons outrebounded Concordia Chicago 27-15 and scored 26 points in the paint. Senior Andrew Fratzke (Winona, Minn.) led the team with 15 points in the first half and helped the Falcons maintain the lead for over 17 minutes, which CUW would not relinquish for the rest of the night.
- The Falcons had three players head the balanced scoring on the night, as Hau finished with a team-high 24 points and was followed by Fratzke who tallied 23 points. Sophomore Jordan Johnson (Cedarburg, Wis.) also passed the 20-point mark, as he netted 21 points on the night.
- The Falcons will be back in action a week from now when they travel to Dominican University with tipoff scheduled for 7:00 pm.