Whitewater, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin finished their final game of the weekend with an 89-70 defeat to No. 24 UW-Whitewater Warhawks inside the Williams Center. CUW is wrapping up the Gabe Miller Tipoff Classic, as they are coming off a close loss to No. 10 UW-Platteville from yesterday.
Final Score: No. 24 UW-Whitewater 89, Concordia Wisconsin 70
Location: Williams Center (Whitewater, Wis.)
Records: UW-Whitewater 3-0, Concordia Wisconsin 0-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In a tight ball game throughout, the Falcons had upset on their mind. Trailing by only two points by the score of 62-60 and with just over eight minutes left in the ball game. Concordia Wisconsin played No. 24 UW-Whitewater tough inside the Williams Center, as CUW made a few miscues, while the hosts made difficult shots in the final minutes to pull away and stretch the score to 89-70 after clutch free throws at the end to seal it for the ranked Warhawks.
- The Falcons headed into halftime with a one-point lead over the Warhawks, only to see UW-Whitewater go on a big run to separate themselves by growing the lead to 58-45 in favor of UW-Whitewater.
- CUW did not go away, as freshman Jared Jurss (Sheboygan, Wis.) made a sweet driving layup that drew a foul in the process. The freshman converted the and-one opportunity to cut the lead to 10 points with score at 60-50 in favor of the Warhawks.
- Junior Braden Persinger (Reedsville, Wis.) added two points to cut the lead to single digits with 11:45 remaining in regulation, making the score 52-60 and only a single digit lead for the first time since 15:16 in the second half. Concordia Wisconsin continued to surge by getting help from sophomore Joey Zietlow (Oak Creek, Wis.) who slammed home a momentum building dunk bringing the score to 57-62 in favor of UW-Whitewater.
- Concordia Wisconsin saw production from sophomore Jordan Johnson (Cedarburg, Wis.) who scored a team-high 18 points and corralled 11 rebounds. Senior Andrew Fratzke (Winona, Minn.) scored 14 points and had two steals. Senior Jake Jurss (Sheboygan, Wis.) led the team with assist with five. The Falcons shot 53.1 percent from the field and got 22 points from off the bench.
- The Falcons will have a three-day break before they travel to Concordia Chicago with tipoff scheduled for 7:00 pm.