Platteville, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin opened up the season against a tough non-conference matchup with No. 10 UW-Platteville in the Gabe Miller Tipoff Classic. The Pioneers were able to use an explosive first half to hand the Falcons their first loss of the season.
Final Score: UW-Platteville 74, Concordia Wisconsin 60
Location: Williams Fieldhouse (Platteville, Wis.)
Records: UW-Platteville 1-0, Concordia Wisconsin 0-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Pioneers shot a blazing 53.6 percent from the field in the first half, while getting a strong first 20 minutes from Carter Voelker who score 14 points on 6-8 shooting and five rebounds. Concordia Wisconsin did counter with a 13-point first half performance from senior Josh Hau (Slinger, Wis.) who terrorized the opposition from behind the three-point arch.
- UW-Platteville used runs of 11 unanswered points and eight unanswered points to go into halftime with a 45-29 lead. The Falcons did create eight turnovers and four steals during the opening half. Concordia Wisconsin also saw eight points from senior Andrew Fratzke (Winona, Minn.) who also corralled four rebounds.
- The second half started with another run from the Pioneers, as the led grew to 22 points at 53-31. Concordia Wisconsin started to climb back in the ball game after a big three-point shot from Sophomore Jordan Johnson (Cedarburg, Wis.), which brought the lead to 13 points, 66-53 in favor of the Pioneers. The Falcons were never able to get closer, as UW-Platteville halted the CUW run and took the 74-60 victory.
- Concordia Wisconsin had three players in double figures, as junior Olelekan George (Milwaukee, Wis.) had 10 points, while Fratzke finished with 18 points and eight rebounds along with Hau who produced 18 points on the night.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- The Falcons will be back in action, as the face off against No. 24 UW-Whitewater in the Gabe Miller Tipoff Classic with tipoff scheduled for 7:00 pm.