MEQUON, Wis. – The full length of the court stared at the Falcons, as they inbounded the ball with five seconds to go on the clock with the game tied at 76-76. Isaiah Tenette took the ball and drove the length of the court and put home the game-winner off a layup that rolled around the rim before finally dropping down into the net, clinching a 78-76 victory over NACC-leader MSOE.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 78, MSOE 76
Location: R. John Buuck Field House (Mequon, Wis.)
Records:Concordia Wisconsin 9-8, 7-5 NACC; MSOE 10-6, 9-3 NACC
QUOTING HEAD COACH SHAWN CASSIDY
TENETTE'S GAME-WINNING LAYUP
- Junior Isaiah Tenette (Sacramento, Calif.) found space in a crowded lane with four seconds to go in the contest with the game tied at 76-76, when he dropped in a layup the spun around the rim and finally gave the Falcons the go-ahead bucket with only five-tenths of a second left on the clock. MSOE was able to get to the free throw on the previous possession with a chance to go up by one, but couldn't cash in on the first attempt leaving the door open for the Falcons to draw up a play.
- The important NACC matchup saw two teams that were looking to find a momentum win in the middle of the season and CUW did just that. In a first half that was a fast-paced back and forth showdown, MSOE went into halftime with a 45-38 lead thanks to a 15-6 scoring run over six minutes.
- The Falcons came out with a strong start to the second half tying the game up at 45-45, as both teams struggled to create any separation from one another as the largest lead for either team was six points in the last half of play. Concordia Wisconsin gained a little momentum with 12:12 left to go, as they took a five-point lead before the Raiders fought their way back into the game cutting the lead to one point 62-61 in favor of the host.
- Concordia Wisconsin relied on senior Josh Erickson (Manitowoc, Wis.) who poured in 23 points and was the motor the Falcons needed as he went 5-of-10 from beyond the arc, scoring 15 points just in second half alone. CUW also saw a strong performance from freshman Jordan Johnson (Cedarburg, Wis.) who netted 15 points by dicing and fading his way in and out of the lane all night.
- Junior Andrew Fratzke (Winona, Minn.) was solid in the paint for Concordia Wisconsin chipping in 14 points and coming up with two blocked shots, with one being a big spark late in the game defensively. Sophomore Olalekan George (Milwaukee, Wis.) became a good spark for CUW, as he scored 10 points in the first half, while penetrating the paint and finding room on multiple occasions.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Erickson tied a career-high in 3-pointers made with five and Johnson had a season-high five assists.
- The Falcons have defeated the Raiders twice this season accounting for two of the total three conference losses.
- MSOE had solid performances from Jake Gebert who had a team-leading 20 points and 13 rebounds while Tegan Miles also scored 16 points to go along with six boards. Jason Palesse finished the night with 12 points and five assists and Brian Dorn chipped in 10 points on 4-of-6 from the field.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin will travel to Wisconsin Lutheran this Saturday with tipoff scheduled for 2:00 pm.