MEQUON, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin and Lakeland battled in an NACC matchup that featured two teams looking to climb in the standings. The Falcons went on a huge run in the second half with just over 11 minutes left to play to secure a home victory.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 90, Lakeland 76
Location: R. John Buuck Field House (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 8-8, 6-5 NACC; Lakeland 10-6, 7-5 NACC
QUOTING ANDREW FRATZKE
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In a tied ball game at 59-59 with 11:41 to go in the game the Falcons dug deep and made plays on both sides of the ball. CUW went on a 25-10 run to propel them past Lakeland, highlighted by a big play by junior Andrew Fratzke (Winona, Minn.) who skied above the opposition in the middle of the lane to come thundering down to the rim with a two-hand slam, pushing the lead to 76-66 with 6:55 left to play in the contest.
- Fratzke was able to score 11 of his 21 points after the 11:41 mark in the second half that fueled the Falcons in crunch time. Freshman Jordan Johnson (Cedarburg, Wis.) scored eight points in the last 11 minutes of the game going 5-of-5 from the line during that time span.
- Concordia Wisconsin shot well in the first half going 50 percent from the field and senior Josh Hau (Slinger, Wis.) was able to be the motor in the Falcons offense as he poured in 18 points in the first half, while also snatching four rebounds on his way to 25 points and six total rebounds. CUW saw production from Johnson who finished with 16 total points. Junior Noah Gosse (Green, Bay, Wis.) pitched in nine points and grabbed four rebounds along with sophomore Dane Fronek (Wausau, Wis.) who had nine points and six rebounds.
- The Falcons outrebounded the Muskies 43-35, while also finding success in the paint scoring 48 points and moving the ball well with 21 assists compared to just eight assists by Lakeland.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- It always seems to be a battle when these two teams meet as the Lakeland Muskies lead the series 20-19, in the last 10 matchups Concordia Wisconsin has went 6-4 against the Muskies.
- Hau has been on fire offensively averaging 21.3 points in the month of January, while also averaging 4.8 rebounds.
- Lakeland relied on Pat McDonald who netted a team-high 23 points and dished out five assists. Shakur Jinad was able to pull down a team-high 13 rebounds and record a double-double with 10 points. Zach Hasenstein also chipped in 16 points and five rebounds to lead the Muskies.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- The Falcons will host MSOE in a NACC matchup on Wednesday the 17th at 7:00 pm.