Waukesha, Wis.- Concordia Wisconsin held a one-point lead with only five seconds left, and after a stolen inbound pass the Pioneers were able to hit a game winning three-pointer. This put the score at 60-58 as time expired in a tough road loss for the Falcons.
Final Score: Carroll 60, Concordia Wisconsin 58
Location: Van Male Fieldhouse (Waukesha, Wis.)
Records: Carroll 1-0, Concordia Wisconsin 0-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a big missed layup from the Pioneers, the Falcons were able to gain possession in hopes of running out the clock with only five seconds to play. Unfortunately, a miscue on the inbound by CUW resulted in a steal from Carroll's Joel Heesch. Heesch quickly passed to Tanner Zaeske who buried a game winning three-pointer for the Pioneers.
- Concordia Wisconsin was able to break the 56-56 tie with just over a minute left in the ball game when junior Noah Gosse (Green Bay, Wis.) was able to slice through the defense and bank in a layup. With the clock ticking down Carroll's Ben Widdes was able to draw a shooting foul and get to the line, making one of two free throws to bring the Pioneers within one.
- CUW was able to jump out to a 14-4 lead early in game after a quick layup by junior Andrew Fratzke (Winona, Minn.) and three three-pointers from junior Jake Jurss (Sheboygan, Wis.) and one from Freshman Matthew Myers (Blue Mound, Wis.).
- Carroll was able to respond by going on a 26-5 run that catapulted them to a 27-17 lead with just over a minute left in the first half. The Falcons were able to halt the scoring run and go into halftime with momentum after cashing in on the offensive end, resulting in a 29-21 halftime score.
- The second half was a battle that kept the game within seven for most of the half. Concordia Wisconsin was only able to take the lead twice with their largest lead being three. CUW was able to see strong production from Jurss who netted 19 points on 7-15 from the field and 5-11 from behind the arc. The Falcons were also able to get seven points from both Freshman Jordan Johnson (Cedarburg, Wis.) and Gosse who provided a spark off the bench.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Concordia Wisconsin benefited from 21 points off the bench compared to Carroll's 12 points. The Falcons are now 1-10 against the Pioneers with the last win coming back in 2003 by the way of 85-83.
- Carroll was led by Ben Widdes who had 12 points and four rebounds to go along with three steals. Tanner Zaeske was also able to net 11 points and gather five rebounds.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin will be back in action on Saturday as they will continue to play in the Nicholas Fund Tip-off Tournament.