SEWARD, Neb. – Concordia Wisconsin pulled away late when Eric Kittel dished a pass to Andrew Fratzke slicing to the bucket for an emphatic slam dunk that energized the team and crowd to help the Falcons seal an 81-66 victory against Concordia Chicago on Saturday afternoon inside the Walz Arena.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 81, Concordia Chicago 66
Location: Walz Arena (Seward, Neb.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 11-7, Concordia Chicago 4-16
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With Concordia Chicago cutting the Falcons lead to 10 points with just over three minutes remaining at CIT, Concordia Wisconsin was looking for an igniter to start their offense that went stagnate. They got just that when Kittel came sprinting to midcourt after a Cougar missed jumper and just before getting into the lane connected with Fratzke who then took flight and jammed home the rock, while also drawing the foul. After the ensuing free throw make, it began a Falcons 14-7 scoring run to secure the victory.
- While Mitch Pelissier made impact plays all over the floor for the Cougars, it was a combination of Josh Hau and Kittel who proved to be too much for Concordia Chicago. Hau sliced into the lane one too many times against the Cougars for 19 points, while Kittel dashed his way to the rim for 15 points, dished out seven helpers and grabbed eight rebounds.
- However, that was not the only problem the Falcons presented, as Fratzke was all over the glass as he stretched and ripped down seven offensive rebounds while hauling in a game-high 13 total missed shots. He was a handful for the Cougars on the inside, as he capitalized on his aggressiveness around the rim and poured in 12 points.
- Another area Concordia Wisconsin used to put the game in its favor was 22 points off 17 Concordia Chicago turnovers. They also finished with a 43-34 lead (14 offensive rebounds) in rebounding and recorded 19 assists on 29 field goals.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Fratzke's double-double was the seventh of his career, sixth of the season and third in a row.
- Fratzke's 13 rebounds tied a career high.
- The win over the Cougars was the eighth-straight by the Falcons.
- Kittel averaged 11 points, 9.5 assists, 7.5 rebounds and 2.5 steals in the two games at CIT.
- Concordia Chicago was led by Mitch Pelissier who tallied 19 points, six rebounds and three assists. Kris Claybon also pitched in with 16 points and two blocks.
- Israel Dosie was a solid contributor for the Cougars with 12 points and five blocks.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin will travel to Marian on Tuesday for a NACC matchup at 7 pm.