AURORA, Ill. – Concordia Wisconsin was red hot in the opening half shooting 57.1 percent, but couldn't slow Aurora who made 15 3-pointers during a 101-94 loss on Saturday afternoon during NACC play inside Thornton Gymnasium.
Final Score: Aurora 101, Concordia Wisconsin 94
Location: Thorton Gymnasium (Aurora, Ill.)
Records: Aurora 6-2, 4-0 NACC; Concordia Wisconsin 5-3, 4-2 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons led by as many as eight points in the opening half and shot 57.1 percent, but the Spartans responded with 10 long balls over their own to take a 51-47 lead at the intermission. Aurora used a 16-2 scoring run during the first five minutes and 40 seconds of the second period to take momentum for a while.
- Concordia Wisconsin slowly chipped away at its deficit and got to within a field goal with a minute to play. Aurora answered with a triple from Jovonn Griffin, coupled by a Falcons missed 3-pointer and two free throws by Matt Dunn, it was all the hosts needed to walk away victorious.
- Sophomore Andrew Fratzke (Winona, Minn.) had a career game with 17 points and five assists, to go along with 10 rebounds.
- As well, sophomore Josh Hau (Slinger, Wis.) tallied a career-best 20 points on 8-of-11 shooting (including three 3-pointers) in 21 minutes of action.
- Sophomore Jake Jurss (Sheboygan, Wis.) added 14 points, three rebounds, three assists and two steals; while junior Josh Erickson (Manitowoc, Wis.) had 12 points, four rebounds and five assists.
- Senior Eric Kittel (Brillion, Wis.) ended with 11 points and six assists. Freshman Isaiah Tenette (Sacramento, Calif.) scored a season-high 10 points and grabbed four rebounds.
- The Falcons were outscored 20-4 on second chance scoring, but their bench outscored the Spartans reserves 36-21.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons 89.5 percent (17-of-19) at the free throw line is tied for the 10th highest percentage in a game in program history.
- The loss gives Concordia Wisconsin back-to-back losses for the first time this season. In addition, the Falcons had won the two previous games in Aurora, Ill.
- Fratzke's double-double was his second this season.
- Jovonn Griffin led all players with 28 points on 10-of-14 shooting (three 3-pointers made), to go along with six rebounds and four assists.
- Marcus Myers had a double-double (20 points, 11 rebounds) and assisted on three field goals.
- Ty Carlson added 16 points, eight rebounds, two assists and a game-high four steals. Max Vickers recorded 10 points, six rebounds and two steals.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- The Falcons travel to Dominican on Saturday, December 17 for a 4:15 pm NACC matchup. The game is the second of four-straight away from home.