MEQUON, Wis. – It has become something expected when Concordia Wisconsin and Marian meet inside the R. John Buuck Field House, a game that comes down to the final seconds that is. Eric Kittel scored the game-winning layup with four seconds left to propel the Falcons past Marian in an 80-78 NACC victory on Tuesday evening.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 80, Marian 78
Location: R. John Buuck Field House (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 2-1, 1-0 NACC; Marian 0-4, 0-1 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Following the eighth tie of the game at 78-78 with 18 seconds left in the game, the Falcons drew up a play during a timeout that had multiple options. The only result that mattered was Kittel driving from the right wing past his defender for a layup to put Concordia Wisconsin in the win column.
- The contest swayed in Marian's favor following an 11-0 scoring run as they went ahead by a game-high 12 points with 8:42 to play in the opening half. The Falcons slowly worked themselves back into the game and not until a 15-4 run during a three-minute span in the second half put the scoreboard at 60-59 in their favor.
- The ball game went back-and-forth over the final eight minutes, with four lead changes and five scoring ties. Concordia Wisconsin made several changes at halftime and during the final 20 minutes of play was able to get into the paint for 26 points. As well, the bench played an important factor with 20 points in the second half.
- Kittel (senior, Brillion, Wis.) led all players with 19 points, to go along with five assists and two steals.
- Sophomore Josh Erickson (Manitowoc, Wis.) added 14 points and knocked down four triples. He also had four assists. Junior Jared Gosse (Green Bay, Wis.) had a career game with 12 points and eight rebounds in 20 minutes off the bench.
- Sophomore Jake Jurss (Sheboygan, Wis.) scored 10 points and stole two passes. Freshman Isaiah Tenette (Sacramento, Calif.) added seven points and five assists in 17 minutes as a reserve.
- The Falcons shot 46.9 percent for the game, but had a 57.6 shooting percentage (19-of-33) in the second half.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Concordia Wisconsin took care of the basketball in the second half, committing just three turnovers and 12 total for the game.
- The Falcons are now 8-2 in NACC openers during head coach Shawn Cassidy's tenure.
- Tyrese Pinson and Alex Manhardt each had 16 points for the Sabres, while Ryan Biffert and Evan Hansen scored 14 and 11 points, respectively.
- Manhardt also had a team-high seven rebounds, five assists, three blocks and two steals.
- Marian shot 11-of-14 free throws in the second half.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- The Falcons host Concordia Chicago on Saturday at 4:15 pm in the second half of a NACC doubleheader.