OBERLIN, Ohio – It was a good day to be a freshman for the Concordia University Wisconsin Field Hockey team. Gabrielle Poole and Megan McPike scored goals and Katelyn Fitzgerald made four saves, needing every one of them, as the Falcons started the 2018 season with their second straight win, 2-1 over Oberlin Sunday.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 2, Oberlin 1
- Location: Knowlton Complex – Oberlin, Ohio
- Records: CUW 2-0; Oberlin 1-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- McPike (Mequon, Wis.) had an opening weekend to remember for the Falcons. One day after recording a hat trick in her first career collegiate game, she picked up the game-winning goal by scoring with 10:42 left in regulation. McPike scored off a rebound to help the Falcons to a second-straight win.
- McPike assisted on the game's opening goal, the lone score in the first half off the stick of Poole (Rindge, N.H.). The score was the first of Poole's Falcons career.
- Fitzgerald and the defense did a strong job all game, surrendering just one score. Fitzgerald finished the game with four saves, moving her record to 2-0 in two career starts.
- Oberlin scored with 14:10 left in the second half when Amelia Huang beat Fitzgerald. The Falcons responded quickly on McPike's game-winning goal 3:28 later.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons are off to a 2-0 start for the second-straight season. Last season, CUW won home games against Lindenwood Belleville and Oberlin to begin the year.
- The Falcons will play at the Wilson Invitational next weekend, beginning the tournament against Sweet Briar. The contest between CUW and Sweet Briar is set for Saturday at noon eastern.