OBERLIN, Ohio –Megan McPike and Sam Dunn recorded the fourth and fifth hat tricks in Concordia University Wisconsin Field Hockey history as the Falcons erupted for a 7-2 season-opening win over Ferrum in a neutral site contest Saturday. Kelsey Fulton added a goal as the Falcons scored the second most goals in a game in program history.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 7, Ferrum 2
- Location: Knowlton Complex – Oberlin, Ohio
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 1-0, Ferrum 0-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- CUW did most of its damage in the first half with five of its seven goals. McPike (Mequon, Wis.) tallied the first score of 2018 10:26 into play with Dunn picking up the assist. Just 1:35 later, Dunn (Sussex, Wis.) added her first score with Sophia O'Connor (Manchester, Mich.).
- Kelsey Fulton (Sussex, Wis.) made the score 3-0 in favor of the Falcons 17:34 into play before Ferrum got on the board 19:52 into the game on a Dominque Harper score.
- McPike and Dunn each added another score before half and each finished off their hat tricks in the second half, alternating goals in giving the Falcons a 7-1 advantage. McPike completed her hat trick 1:05 into the second half, while Dunn got hers 49:48 into the game. Rachel Larson (St. Louis, Mo.) assisted on McPike's hat-trick score.
- Freshman Katelyn Fitzgerald (Wood River, Ill.) made one save in her first career win, while the Falcons added a pair of team saves. CUW heavily outshot Ferrum, 24-12, including an 18-5 edge in shots on goal.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The seven goals were the second most in a game in program history. The Falcons scored nine times in the programs second-ever game, a 9-0 win over Lindenwood Belleville on September 4, 2016.
- Brandi Muller and Kelsey Fulton are the other players who have tallied hat tricks in their career, with Fulton accomplishing the feat twice last season. Muller had the first-ever hat trick on October 14, 2016. Fulton's first career hat trick came exactly one year to the date in a win over Lindenwood Belleville last season.
- The Falcons will take on Oberlin in a non-conference contest tomorrow. The game will start at 12 p.m. eastern.
March 20, 2019 Nine Falcons named to NFCHA National Academic Squad
March 13, 2019 Field Hockey claims NFHCA National Academic Team Award
November 28, 2018 Field Hockey lands two LongStreth/NFHCA All-Region selections
November 19, 2018 Field Hockey looks to build off a record-breaking season
November 6, 2018 Field Hockey trio earns All-SAA honors
November 4, 2018 Buehler and Dunn named to SAA All-Tournament Team
November 3, 2018 Falcons’ record-breaking journey ends in SAA Semifinals
November 2, 2018 Field Hockey bounces Hendrix in SAA Quarterfinals
October 27, 2018 Field Hockey slips at Sewanee
October 21, 2018 Field Hockey Sinks Hendrix
October 20, 2018 Field Hockey Falls at Rhodes
October 17, 2018 DePauw Spoils Senior Day for Field Hockey
October 16, 2018 Falcon Focus Podcast (October 16, 2018)
October 10, 2018 Blog: O'Connor recounts spring mission trip to Italy
October 7, 2018 Field Hockey scoreless at Rhodes
September 30, 2018 McPike leads Field Hockey past Randolph-Macon
September 29, 2018 Field Hockey shut out by Christopher Newport
September 23, 2018 McPike ties season goal, point marks; Field Hockey falls at Centre
September 22, 2018 McPike, Faubel lead Field Hockey in conference-opening win
September 15, 2018 Field Hockey suffers first setback of 2018 at Earlham
September 8, 2018 Falcons power through Sweet Briar for third-straight win
September 2, 2018 Rookies lead Field Hockey to second-straight win to start 2018
September 1, 2018 Dunn, McPike net hat tricks in Falcons convincing season-opening win
April 19, 2018 CUW announces incoming student-athletes