GRANVILLE, Ohio – Four different players scored as the Concordia University Wisconsin Field Hockey team picked up its first win over an NCAA opponent in program history Sunday, a 4-2 decision over Eastern Mennonite. The Falcons scored three times in the first half and once in the second half for the victory.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 4, Eastern Mennonite 2
- Location: Piper Stadium – Granville, Ohio
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 1-5; Eastern Mennonite 3-4
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After falling behind 1-0 early, the Falcons responded with two goals to take a 2-1 lead in the 19th minute. The Falcons first score came 9:44 into play on the fourth goal of the season for senior Rachel Scholz (Cedarburg, Wis.). About nine minutes later, freshman Sam Dunn (Sussex, Wis.) struck to give the Falcons a 2-1 lead. Freshman Rachel Larson (Fenton, Mo.) assisted on Dunn's score.
- Eastern Mennonite would answer under three minutes later with a goal, but the Falcons made sure they took the lead into halftime. Freshman Sophia Kottmer (Virginia Beach, Va.) put CUW on top with an unassisted score in the 27th minute.
- CUW would add some insurance in the second half as freshman Kelsey Fulton (Sussex, Wis.) score to make the score 4-2.
- The Falcons were narrowly outshot, 10-9, on Sunday but made the nine shots count with four scores. In addition, CUW goalie Alyssa Palmer (La Verne, Calif.) played well in gaining the win, ending the contest with four saves.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons defeated Lindenwood Belleville earlier this season by a 9-0 score, however that game did not count towards their overall record. Due to that, Sunday's victory would go down as the first win in program history for the Falcons.
- The contest was played at Denison, a team both squads played earlier in the weekend. Both CUW and Eastern Mennonite dropped 5-0 decisions against Denison.
- The Falcons will prepare for another three-game weekend beginning with a contest against Bellarmine next Thursday. CUW will also play Saturday and Sunday next weekend, all on the road.